Brad nailers:

Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?

Sal

Reply to
sal

You might consider a air powered brad nailer connected to a small CO2 tank. In some ways, this is even more convenient than an electric nailer since it needs no umbilical cord at all. The tank + regulator clips on to you belt and away you go. I normally use a compressor in my shop but use a CO2 cartridge for small jobs where it is a pain to haul and set up the compressor.

Reply to
Bob Haar

Try a pneumatic nailer, then try an electric. I bet you'll change your mind about the electric.

Reply to
Phisherman

It'd sure be nice if someone came up with an electric that actually worked. The ones I've tried are no better than the better Arrow staplers. While I'm wishing, a smaller version of the paslode cordless finish nailer would be nice.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

The electric are junk. Get a small compressor and air nailer. You'll be glad you did once you find other uses for the compressor too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

IIRC, Home Depot has a compressed gas rig so you can get the rig, a nail gun or stapler and use as needed, replace after a long time and get the empty refilled. Most of the small nailer's - box and finish use pressure and not much volume.

I got one of these so I do air on the house and yard barn. The shop has a large compressor and I have a small haul around tank, but hauling hose up on the roof or on a ladder it makes for an easier time.

And on small bird house projects, only a pancake job or small cylinder would be better. Nice, the compressed gas is silent except for the hit of the nail and some release pressure afterwards.

Mart>> Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I suggest you avoid them. Better to get a pneumatic brad nailer and an inexpensive compressor.

I bought the electric brad nailer from Arrow and it only seemed to be able to drive the head of a brad below the surface some of the time. Part of the problem seemed to be that it really needs a LOT of current to drive the brad. When used on a 15A circuit, I found I could get slightly better results if I could insure there was nothing else on the circuit drawing power at the same time. Ultimately though, a cheap compressor and brad nailer from Harbor Freight will work better than an electric.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

"sal" wrote

Agree with those recommending that you go with an air gun instead of electric. For out of shop work I take a Husky Air Scout. Available at the BORG, it's a little jewel for pinners, brad and finish nail guns, compact, inexpensive (less than $100) and *highly* mobile.

Reply to
Swingman

How about something like this:

(looking online) the included brad/staple nailer only takes up to

1" brads??? A bigger capacity gun would be cheap enough. Is a compressor like this big enough to run a (small) airbrush? I keep thinking about getting a small setup like this but lack of understanding how it all works (cfm, psi, etc.) keeps me screwing and tap tap tapping.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

My electric arrow is useless in hardwood.

Reply to
henry

I have had an Arrow, and a Sears brand both given to me as gifts.

They would probably be nice tools if they were sold as cardboard fastening systems.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I do have got an arrow too. Got it cheap. Nails up to an inch. I believe newer models go to 1 1/4. It's ok for Norm-style assembly "while the glue dries" pinning in softwood and lining up MDF jigs 'n' stuff. Great for ear piercings at bike rallies...

I realize its limitations.

I played with an Aldi air nailer - cost £10 - and it was well made, MUCH more powerful and even comfortable to use. I didn't buy one, but next time they come around I probably will.

My question for the panel is:

Is it feasible to use these things with low pressure airbrush compressors?

I have a really nice Simair, but it was bought to drive things like Connors and Paasche turbos at a rock steady 10-30psi with clinical air quality. I could probably crank a fair bit more out of it, but it is not its best thing. I suspect that nailers would want to run at around 90psi upward but I would be very interested in anyone's experience with running one at lower pressure. Does it even work? Does it work, but badly?

TIA

Reply to
Bored Borg

That is possibly the ugliest attempt at a sentence i have ever seen. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:22:55 +0000, FrozenNorth wrote (in article ):

I did worked on it long and hard so to have it maked.

Reply to
Bored Borg

Of you Yoda most proud would be.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Don't tell me, both you guys were tossed out of Latin class.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks for all the reviews, looks like air wins.

Sal

Reply to
sal

Sal, Sal,Sal,

You need to share your intended use andbudget limitations to get a fair response.

Few who have used any of the less expensive Electric Stapler/Nailers would recommend them for general use in a wood shop or for nailing through Oak or Masonite.

You just missed the "Special Sales" days but should be able to find an "outfit" including a small compressor and at least one nailer for under $70 and certainly under $100. Check the RETURN POLICY first. Then buy it, try it and return it (if you choose) until you find what your needs demand.

I recently bought two Hitachi's (albeit 15GA finishing nailers) on closeout at Lowes for $44 each and returned the one I bought from HFT and got my $85.00 back. Did Not like the HFT action - sticky) and love the Hitachi's. I have all pneumatic nailers Porter Cable 18GA, Stanley Stapler & Coil Nailer and another Hitachi Coil Nailer (full-head to 3" nails).

I have a Stanley electric stapler, but wouldn't advise spending cash for one if the wood is hard/dense and would keep to short staples and be prepared to use a hammer to finish drive each one.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:33:36 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote (in article ):

Pudor, In ignominium ex facultam eiectamarunt, quisque iedi non futurus nos erant quoniam pars atrum seductorant

fbzr qbt irefvba bs Netuuu!! Jr jrer guebja bhg gur pynff va qvfubabhe jvgu ab ubcr bs orvat Wrqv nf jr unq orra frqhprq ol gur qnex fvqr... ( qnzzvg V sbetbg zr cnffvir cyhcresrpg fb vg'f tvoorevfu gnvjnarfr fgrerb znahny genafyngvba)

Reply to
Bored Borg

...I run all my air tools at 100psi...do a lot of work in the field and have a light-weight setup that works for me; Makair (Makita) hot dog compressor, very light and gets 125 psi if I need it, a Hitachi NR82 framer gun, a Max 15 gauge, and a Max 23 gauge pinner (there are a bunch of Sencos and a Rigid or two in my shop). Primary concern for anything less than the framing nailer is to set the brad/nail below the surface of the work...it's real easy to make a mess trying to set small fasteners with standard nail set! Especially in *hard*wood.

Best for you to get yourself one of those package deals you'll find at Lowe's or HD...then you'll get a decent nailer of the 15 gauge variety and a decent compressor to run it.

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh