Brad nailers:

Page 1 of 2
Hi folks , I want to buy an small brad nail gun , I would like an electric type for its convenience. Does anyone here recommend them?
Sal

You might consider a air powered brad nailer connected to a small CO2 tank. In some ways, this is even more convenient than an electric nailer since it needs no umbilical cord at all. The tank + regulator clips on to you belt and away you go. I normally use a compressor in my shop but use a CO2 cartridge for small jobs where it is a pain to haul and set up the compressor.

Try a pneumatic nailer, then try an electric. I bet you'll change your mind about the electric.

It'd sure be nice if someone came up with an electric that actually worked. The ones I've tried are no better than the better Arrow staplers. While I'm wishing, a smaller version of the paslode cordless finish nailer would be nice.
Ed

The electric are junk. Get a small compressor and air nailer. You'll be glad you did once you find other uses for the compressor too.
IIRC, Home Depot has a compressed gas rig so you can get the rig, a nail gun or stapler and use as needed, replace after a long time and get the empty refilled. Most of the small nailer's - box and finish use pressure and not much volume.
I got one of these so I do air on the house and yard barn. The shop has a large compressor and I have a small haul around tank, but hauling hose up on the roof or on a ladder it makes for an easier time.
And on small bird house projects, only a pancake job or small cylinder would be better. Nice, the compressed gas is silent except for the hit of the nail and some release pressure afterwards.
Martin
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I suggest you avoid them. Better to get a pneumatic brad nailer and an inexpensive compressor.
I bought the electric brad nailer from Arrow and it only seemed to be able to drive the head of a brad below the surface some of the time. Part of the problem seemed to be that it really needs a LOT of current to drive the brad. When used on a 15A circuit, I found I could get slightly better results if I could insure there was nothing else on the circuit drawing power at the same time. Ultimately though, a cheap compressor and brad nailer from Harbor Freight will work better than an electric.
"sal" wrote

Agree with those recommending that you go with an air gun instead of electric. For out of shop work I take a Husky Air Scout. Available at the BORG, it's a little jewel for pinners, brad and finish nail guns, compact, inexpensive (less than $100) and *highly* mobile.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

How about something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId3500-43657-FP209599DI&lpage=none
Apparently (looking online) the included brad/staple nailer only takes up to 1" brads??? A bigger capacity gun would be cheap enough. Is a compressor like this big enough to run a (small) airbrush? I keep thinking about getting a small setup like this but lack of understanding how it all works (cfm, psi, etc.) keeps me screwing and tap tap tapping.
Ed
My electric arrow is useless in hardwood.

I have had an Arrow, and a Sears brand both given to me as gifts.
They would probably be nice tools if they were sold as cardboard fastening systems.
Robert
I do have got an arrow too. Got it cheap. Nails up to an inch. I believe newer models go to 1 1/4. It's ok for Norm-style assembly "while the glue dries" pinning in softwood and lining up MDF jigs 'n' stuff. Great for ear piercings at bike rallies...
I realize its limitations.
I played with an Aldi air nailer - cost 10 - and it was well made, MUCH more powerful and even comfortable to use. I didn't buy one, but next time they come around I probably will.
My question for the panel is:
Is it feasible to use these things with low pressure airbrush compressors?
I have a really nice Simair, but it was bought to drive things like Connors and Paasche turbos at a rock steady 10-30psi with clinical air quality. I could probably crank a fair bit more out of it, but it is not its best thing. I suspect that nailers would want to run at around 90psi upward but I would be very interested in anyone's experience with running one at lower pressure. Does it even work? Does it work, but badly?
TIA
Bored Borg wrote:

That is possibly the ugliest attempt at a sentence i have ever seen. ;-)
--
Froz...

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:22:55 +0000, FrozenNorth wrote

Thank you.
I did worked on it long and hard so to have it maked.
Bored Borg wrote:

Of you Yoda most proud would be.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Bored Borg wrote:

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Don't tell me, both you guys were tossed out of Latin class.
Lew
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:33:36 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote

Pudor, In ignominium ex facultam eiectamarunt, quisque iedi non futurus nos erant quoniam pars atrum seductorant
fbzr qbt irefvba bs Netuuu!! Jr jrer guebja bhg gur pynff va qvfubabhe jvgu ab ubcr bs orvat Wrqv nf jr unq orra frqhprq ol gur qnex fvqr... ( qnzzvg V sbetbg zr cnffvir cyhcresrpg fb vg'f tvoorevfu gnvjnarfr fgrerb znahny genafyngvba)

some dog version of
Arghhh!! We were thrown out the class in dishonour with no hope of being Jedi
as we had been seduced by the dark side... ( dammit I forgot me passive
pluperfect so it's gibberish taiwanese stereo manual translation)
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:09:36 +0000, Bored Borg

...I run all my air tools at 100psi...do a lot of work in the field and have a light-weight setup that works for me; Makair (Makita) hot dog compressor, very light and gets 125 psi if I need it, a Hitachi NR82 framer gun, a Max 15 gauge, and a Max 23 gauge pinner (there are a bunch of Sencos and a Rigid or two in my shop). Primary concern for anything less than the framing nailer is to set the brad/nail below the surface of the work...it's real easy to make a mess trying to set small fasteners with standard nail set! Especially in *hard*wood.
Best for you to get yourself one of those package deals you'll find at Lowe's or HD...then you'll get a decent nailer of the 15 gauge variety and a decent compressor to run it.
cg

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId3500-43657-FP209599DI&lpage=none http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId6441-61735-J-6901-100&lpage=none
You'll hate the noise. Airbrushes use very little air, a few cfm at not much more than 15 psi, even for t-shirts.