Brad Nailer recommendations?

I've never owned one, but I am sure getting the "wants". So I've started reading the reviews and learning about the brands. It seems that misfiring is an ailment that affects some of the nailers. If you have any experience, especially heavy day in-day out type making a living with one of these devices, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Senco, Hitachi, Makita, in that order. But it could be changed and it would not hurt my feelings.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

You can get a real cheap one from Harbor Freight. I believe a 18-gauge

3/8" - 1-3/16" cost $19.99. I bought one almost the same but longer brads (up to 2" brad) for about $25. I have used it for more than six mths occasionally and I really have no problems with it.

Reply to
WD

do you really think that anyone making their living with a brad nailer would use a HF one? :) I think the OP MIGHT have been asking about which QUALITY brand folks prefer...

dave

WD wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I will agree on the Senco but after that I have to say PC. I have no experience with Hitachi or Makita nailers. I have two PC nailers now, a DA250B 15ga angle finish nailer and a BN125

18ga straight brad nailer (never seen a 18 angle). I use both quite a lot but I'm planning on getting rid of the 18ga and get a Senco FP25XP 18ga finish nailer. One of the problems with the PC as well as most others is they keep on firing without nails, also the PC's require a few drops of oil which may cause problems with the wood finish - this has never happened to me, however. The Senco FP25XP is oilless and won't fire without brads in the slide. Another advantage of the Senco is the range of length of brads - 5/8's to 2-1/8". My PC BN125 is 5/8 to 1-1/4 (The BN200 is 3/4 - 2" and the DA250 is 1 to 2-1/2). The Senco FP25XP ain't cheap though, around $150. There are 18 ga brad nailers cheaper - but are they in the long run? My PC BN125 was around $80 and while it has done fine, I'm going to switch.

See the Senco FP25XP here

hunting, Erik

Reply to
ELAhrens

I have the $20 HF brad nailer and it is a piece of crap. It "doubles" every once in a while, jamming it or shooting a bent brad in the work. I like the idea of a brad nailer (I wasn't sure I would ever use one when I bought the HF) but not this one. I asked Santa to give me a real one. Let's see if she was listening.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Actually the original poster asked -

He also didn't specify what he would be using it for.

For price performance I don't think the HF "Professional" 2" 18ga brad nailer can be beat. Its frequently

Reply to
someone

boy, talk about "selective quotes"!!! Re-read the OP's full post and tell if he didn't ask specifically for recommendations from FOLKS ESPECIALLY WHO USE THE NAILERS TO MAKE A LIVING?? Hello??? Neither you nor I would be qualified to answer his question, even though I have 3 nailers...

dave

snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.org wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Mine are both Porter Cable - BN125 (18 ga.) and DA250A (15 ga.) I have two friends from who I can borrow a FN250A (16 ga.) if necessary. If you have never owned one, many have recommended some inexpensive HF models and have been satisfied with the performance at the right price.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Agreed. You should keep your mouth shut when you don't have anything useful to contribute and I won't feel the need to stick up for other posters who did answer the question asked.

Reply to
someone

you "feel the need"? If you had a little self control, maybe you could refrain from being "Big Brother"?? Maybe? Nah, that would never happen ..."self control" isn't in your vocabulary.

Oh, and I almost forgot, BITE ME!

have a nice day!

dave

snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.org wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

and another thing...if you are "sticking up" for a poster who advocates using HF crap for day in and out use, you are dumber than nails.

dave

snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.org wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 17 Oct 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Hey Dave! Make sure to tell us if you plonk him!

Reply to
Scott Cramer

The middle grade HF nailer may be OK but I say, pass on the $20 one.

Reply to
Gfretwell

I have the PC that shoots up to 2". Never had a misfire with it. I'm a contractor so my use is heavy at times. I really like the way it feels in my hand, just very comfortable. Someone mentioned that it needs to be oiled, yeah, like a drop of oil, and that isn't going to effect anything. Some worry about the 2" nails being too weak, and I did wonder about it too, but that has not been my experience in use. It's advertised as shooting from 3/4" thru 2" but it will also shoot the 5/8" brads.

Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

I appreciate all the informative posts.

$150 is not expensive for a good tool that will be around a while and saves a lot of time. I think I'll go for the Senco - I have not read a single critical comment about that brand and I like the oil free aspect. The FP25XP sounds great. I was not aware of that model - its not carried everywhere, but I think its the one I'll get.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I have a PC BN200A 2" 18 guage brad, a Crapsman 351.713610 18 guage - 2" brad and a Crapsman 351.713640 1/2" stapler.

The PC is legendary for miss firing, while neither Crapsman has ever misfired (at least for me. I am pretty sure everyone else has a bad comment or two).

The PC uses a few brands of nails, but they are a pain to find. The Crapsman uses both Sears and Paslode products. Paslode refills are available almost everywhere and are inexpensive.

Both brands have good features, so it is a toss up for me. I just don't like the miss-firing from the PC.

One thing the PC has over the Crapsman is the jam clearing feature. The Crapsman makes me take off the front cover plate. It has only jammed once, while the PC has jammed a few times. (Makes me wonder if that is why they built in a jam feature, hmm)

wayne

Reply to
Wayne J

Hitachi, Senco, Makita, Paslode.