Brad Nailer

Page 2 of 2

Does the gun work on yellow pine?. If it doesn't. you might assume the gun or brads are faulty. I think probably your brads are to small and maybe you need a finish nail gun.
IMO, brads are really insufficient for base boards. Someone is going to say they've used brads, but I wouldn't do it. :-)

I just used an 18 gauge nail gun (Porter Cable) to install 7 door frames and 80 feet of baseboard. I used 2" (Porter Cable brand) nails. The job went amazingly fast. As per instruction, I add 2 drops of oil before use. Maybe clean the gun and check air pressure.
Phisherman wrote: ...

What material? Methinks not 3/4" ash w/ 18 ga...

My PC finish nail gun uses 16 ga nails up to 2 1/2" long. My PC brad nailer uses 18 ga brads up to 1 1/2" long (?). My experience is that the 2 1/2" 16 ga nails are adequate for base board and door casing.

My first thought is the 18 gauge gun might be a little small, but I have driven a lot of 18's in various hardwoods with only an occasional fold. I would still doubt that the smaller brads will hold over the long run. An 18 gauge would probably fix the problem.
I finished a basement years ago with lighter trim and an 18 ga gun. Worked ok but I noticed over time that some of the trim was pulling away in places.
BTW - What kind of gun?

Sorry - Meant to say a 15 or 16 gage would probably fix the problem.