Brad Nailer

Go ahead... laugh you insensitive bastard!

Just kiddin'.

You would laugh at this, though. I have an old Milwaukee saw that I bought in '76. It was the only heavy duty saw I had for a long time (the old silver Rockwells didn't cut really hard job site use) and I used it for everything from cutting forms for concrete to cutting fine paneling.

Later when I started a framing business, I used it when I framed houses, and it cut miles of decking, 2x materials, siding, etc. This was before premade wall sections, so it cut all the framing members as well. That saw literally supported me as my sole cutter for a couple of years, along with my first Milwaukee 3/8" VS drill purchased along the same time.

The saw cannot be rebuilt again. There are no more parts. HOWEVER.... I never forget an old friend or a good business partner. It is on a special shelf in the shop with its bent shoe, broken trigger and frayed cord to remind me that it was the only real hard working tool I had when I started my own business.

It also reminds me to remember how much you can do with a lot less than you think. It inspires me.

It was forced into retirement against its will about ten years ago when the cord (literally) caught fire behind the case handle and it shocked the living crap out of me.

I won't get rid of it, though. In a strange way, I like having it around. Go figure.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

That's a lesson that can only be learned after a long apprenticeship or by having grown up during the Great Depression.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

wrote

I know the feeling. I have a lucky tape measure.

A total freak accident involving klutzes in my shop without my permission during a difficult tablesaw cut resulted in a horendous kickback with a piece of very sharp wood. It would have impaled me for sure. It hit my tape measure on my belt. It scored the Stanley label and put a nice little dent across the face of the tape measure. Everytime I put that thing on my belt, it feels a little safer for me.

It is getting old and the tape is worn. But it feels good just to wear it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Some old book I read used the descriptor "whippy" for ash wood.

Reply to
phorbin

My first thought is the 18 gauge gun might be a little small, but I have driven a lot of 18's in various hardwoods with only an occasional fold. I would still doubt that the smaller brads will hold over the long run. An 18 gauge would probably fix the problem.

I finished a basement years ago with lighter trim and an 18 ga gun. Worked ok but I noticed over time that some of the trim was pulling away in places.

BTW - What kind of gun?

Reply to
RonB

Sorry - Meant to say a 15 or 16 gage would probably fix the problem.

Reply to
RonB