bracketless shelf??

I have a 10" shelf 3/4 stock and am going to fasten it to a 1x2 then fasten the 1x2 to the wall Does anyone have any idea what weight it will hold
I think it largely depends upon how you are going to fasten it, how long it is, how many studs you might be able to attach the 1X2 to etc. More detailed info would be needed to answer your question.

The shelf is 40"long and is going to be attached to the 1x2 with #8 wood screws and attached through the 1x2 to 2 studs with 2" screws. thought I should posible put the screws through the shelf about 8" apart

jan wrote: > The shelf is 40"long and is going to be attached to the 1x2 with #8 wood > screws and attached through the 1x2 to 2 studs with 2" screws.
Just curious.
Why do you feel it is necessary to attach the shelf to the 1x2's with screws?
You don't obtain any added strength and you make the installation a real PITA.
If you attach the 1x2's to the studs, then allow the 1x2's to support the shelf on 3 sides, you're good to go.
Lew
It will not be able to hold itself up. There are many things that can be done to make a serviceable shelf. Perhaps one of the easiest for DIY would be to mount shelf standards with arms. The trickiest thing here would be to find the studs or use proper anchors in drywall and keeping the standards at the same elevation.
Here is an example: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 6 though the stuff is available at all Borgs, Ace, Wal-Mart, etc.
--
DanG

Not enough information. You want to use the wall studs whenever possible, not molly or plastic anchors.