Bracket Hardware from Lee Valley

Swingman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

This is kind of a naive view. It fails in two ways, one because it ignores the reality of monopolies and collusion (so that it's not always possible to "take one's business elsewhere"); and the other because a business's profit motive generally doesn't align with the public's desire for a clean and safe environment.

In an ideal world, regulation would exist only in so far as is necessary to provide "an even playing field", where competing businesses all had the same safety and enviromental standards (so none had an advantage), and all truely did compete (so the customer had a fair choice). In practice, governments are not very good at identifying those boundries, and inertia tends to keep regulations in place long after the need for them has passed (by the same token, inertia tends to prevent regulation being put in place until well after the need first appears - something of a closing the barn door after the horse has left effect).

Anyone interested in the subject would be well advised to study the history of railroad regulation (since that was the first industry regulated) from the creation of the ICC to the Staggers act of 1980 that deregulated it (about 30 years after the need for regulation had ended).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Jeezzus, you guys can run rabbit trails ...

Most here are well aware of the necessity for some form of "regulation", what it entails, and the history thereof, and certainly don't need preaching to in that regard.

My post specifically stated a reality of regulation in today's world, that being "regulatory capture", perfectly manifested in the examples I gave,

The only naivete exhibited thus far is in the disregard of that very real phenomenon, and ignoring the subject totally in irrelevant epistles.

Reply to
Swingman

This is a woodworking newsgroup. Around here we follow rabbet trails.

...Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Decided not to go there ... no telling where that would lead. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I do wonder what additional protections the Founders might have put in the Constitution if they could see the modern world.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not gonna happen until we start making corporate executives respect people. As long as nerdhood is the ticket to success that's not going to happen--used to be we taught people to be team players, now we don't unless they're "jocks".

We do. Go down to the library and look at the US Code sitting on the shelf (don't read it online, look at it on a shelf--I want you to see the physical size of it). Quite a lot of that deals with "corporate entities".

A lot of that sort of thing could be easily fixed by requiring that any contract or change in a contract, in order to be valid, must be accepted actively and explicitly, not passively by continuing to use a service.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Why bother? We haven't followed what they wrote for a long time. If we had, perhaps they wouldn't have wanted to add any.

Reply to
krw

Well, they added it to their "terms of service" (I think). I may inquire at the local branch if they are going to *notify* customers of the discrepancies found on the occasion that they keep the extra money.

You can read the new policy at the top of the first page (paragraph 'A') below (you also be able to see that it's a "new policy"):

Bill

Look on page 16:

"By maintaining your account after the effective date of any change, you agree to the change."

Reply to
J. Clarke

At least they kept the terms of service for a checking account to 30 pages. You have to give them credit for that... ha.

Reply to
Bill

Re: Advertising

No Superbowl here tonight (for the sake of the principle's we have discussed). I'll miss the extra "sandwich"... : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Same here. I don't get a thrill watching a group of millionaires that work for billionaires running around on a field.

Oh, be careful what ypu post. If you use the term Superbowl wrongly they will come after you too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sandwich? The guy in the box was just saying that the average Super Bowl watcher eats 6500 calories during the game!

Reply to
krw

Thanks, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one not-watching!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

A pizza sounds nice... : ) I don't think that's even 6500 calories.

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

The most important game of the weekend was actually last night. Just a mid-season hockey game between the Blackhawks and Stars.

I wonder if Doug Miller and the guy with the U of I e-mail (Len Lopez? I can't remember his name right off) avoid the game too. We get enough of us woodworkers avoiding the game and maybe we could meet somewhere like Danville (halfway between Peoria and Indy) to avoid the game and talk about woodworking.

If anyone's interested and willing to travel to the IL/IN border on 74 (Danville), speak up. If we get enough interest, maybe we'll set something up next year.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That's a nice thought. It wouldn't have to be a winter-time meeting as far as I'm concerned. My wife knows how to entertain herself anywhere there's trees (and birds).

Bill

Reply to
Bill