brace screwdriver bits

Page 1 of 2
Anybody know if anyone is still making screwdriver bits for braces? You used to be able to just buy them at Sears, back in the 70's and before, but the only place I see them nowadays - and it's extremely rare - is old tools newsletters like Patrick Leach's, and I haven't seen any of them for sale for years. And mine are getting kind of beat up.
Why do I want them, you may ask? They're terrific for work on old boats, which tend to have hundreds of large-caliber bronze screws that have been in place without movement for fifty years or more, and have no intention of moving without encouragement.
Tom Dacon
Lee Valley sells an adapter so you can use hex shank bits in a brace. http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p2300&cat=2,2180,41007
Art

The 1/4" hex shank bits would be fine for smaller screws, but for the really big ones I think I'd keep looking for the old bits. The antique tool guys probably aren't the best source, though, unless they come across full boxes of NOS bits or rare makers that would command a decent price.
The Lee Valley adapter with a 3/8" square drive male end would be a better option if you can find bits to fit.
John Martin
Here's another option which will make the purists scream in agony. There are plenty of auger bits available which are now useless for their original purpose. Cut the shank off of some and weld them to whatever screwdriver bit you need. Art
"John Martin" wrote The 1/4" hex shank bits would be fine for smaller screws, but for the really big ones I think I'd keep looking for the old bits. The antique tool guys probably aren't the best source, though, unless they come across full boxes of NOS bits or rare makers that would command a decent price.
You know, Artemes, that's not too bad an idea. It kind of appeals to me. And the purists be damned.
Thanks, Tom

Is that the one with the tapered square on the shank? I have one with a #5 stamped on the taper. I've not used it in over 30 years. If you want it, email me your address and its yours.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Tom Dacon wrote:

One place that sells them... http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code -8751.XX&Category_Code=TD
Must be other places too as useful as they are. Irwin used to distribute them, probably still does.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code -8751.XX&Category_Code=TD
Yes, but they're metric. :)
dadiOH wrote:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code -8751.XX&Category_Code=TD
You could also do it yourself...cut off the handle of a screw driver, grind the shank down to a tapering square.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Oh right, like I've got the time to do that.
Tom
Tom Dacon wrote:

Oh, excuse me...I didn't realize you couldn't spare 5-10 minutes.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code -8751.XX&Category_Code=TD
What?? no square drive?? <G>
I just tried that link this morning - the answer to my dreams - even Philips drive !!!
Thanks, Tom

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code -8751.XX&Category_Code=TD

Jamestown Distributors
Thanks, SailsMan - I should have thought to look there - that's where I buy my fasteners.
Tom

Tom Dacon wrote:

IIRC, Lee Valley has them.
--

Tanus

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop /

And while they may not be ideal, they do offer the option of teh brace driver for bits (admittedly 1/4" shank, ot the 1/4" socket adapter.
Ya know what they say - beggers can't be chosers.

Yeah, but those little suckers roll over and wave their feeble little feet in the air when they're presented with a fifty-year-old 3" #16 screw that's been happily untroubled for a half-century.
Tom
Tom Dacon wrote:

Just a suggestion but you might want to consider making up or having made an adapter that takes half inch drive sockets, then you can get bits up to 5/8 wide from Snap-On--SW40E is the part number for the bit and adapter and SW40E2A for the replacement tips--you can order directly off their Web site.
My temptation would be to get said bit and stick on a half-inch impact wrench. If I busted it I would be out 40 bucks and know that doesn't work. If not then problem solved.
--John