Box joints on a dovetail jig

Needing to play with my new toy (a 24" omnijig), but not actually needing any dovetails at the moment; I found that a 15/64" straight bit with a 7/16" guide cuts a perfect box joint with the standard dovetail template. It is good for up to 1/2" wood.

Have I discovered this, or have people been doing it for centuries? Okay, it is not a big deal, but it is cheaper than buying the box joint template.

Reply to
toller

Why did you choose the omnijig over the akeda or leigh? Just curious ...

Has anyone used the new Porter Cable dovetail jigs? The look like they are better made then their predecessors, but are made out of stamped steel (1/8") instead of extruded aluminum. 4212 model comes with more template capabilities for a fairly small incremental price increase. Joe

Reply to
jev1234

I rejected the leigh as too complicated. I was all set to buy the Akeeda when Amazon dropped the price on the omnijig to $295; or $200 less than the Akeeda. I couldn't resist the price break.

I wanted the Akeeda because it does a greater variety of dovetails and has dust collection. However the omnijig is a better setup for standard halfblind and is 24" long. I could have gone either way, but $200 is $200.

I thought about the new PC jigs, but you have to feel the Omnijig to believe it. I just doubt that the new ones have the same precision.

Reply to
toller

Nothing new. Principle is gap equal to remaining wood, evenly spaced. May vary with other jigs, though.

Making box joints on a router table is simplicity itself, with any size bit. I wouldn't buy a box joint template for the jig.

Reply to
George

I know the concept is not new; many of the jigs have box joint templates available. I was wondering if anyone had tried a 15/64" bit with the standard dovetail template.

Reply to
toller

Just got a call from my local woodcraft dealer. He just got the new PC jigs in (4212). I went to the store and we opened one to review. The difference between them and the current version (4112) is like night and day. They are heavy and built like tanks. They come with all the templates you need, in addition to depth stops, two bushings, two carbide tip bits, and the cam levers found on their more expensive jigs. They were very nice indeed. The 4112 I purchased at a discount is on it's way back!

Joe

Reply to
Joe V

I don't want to rain on your parade but if there is a simpler method than a table saw equipped with the appropriate dado, a decent sled and spacing jig from scraps, to build box joints, I haven't seen it.

The box joint with all it's many variations, probably has most favored joint status around boat yards.

As an example, if you want to have some fun, try making a wooden shower grate, say 30" x 40", from 4/4 or 5/4, teak or old growth cypress without using a dado and a sled.

BTW, have fun with your new piece of equipment.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"toller" wrote in news:_x0Ad.1087$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Actually, $200 is a new router you can leave set up to _exactly_ the settings you finally dial in for half-blind dovies... Or TWO new, fixed speed PC690's at the sale prices, if you can find them.

Patriarch, Akeda owner, but learning the quiet joys of the Adria dovetail saw.

Reply to
Patriarch

We did and in fact had several to do out of teak but I have to confess that we had a "coupla hunnert dollar" CNC router do all the cutting. Still, wooden shower grates (we called them Duck Boards) were/are a pain in the ass.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Watch The Router Workshop.

Reply to
George

Can't, they don't show it here. It is only on the digital PBS.

Reply to
toller

Told you you should have sent in your pledge, didn't they....

Reply to
George

It is common. I have found my tablesaw does an excellent job with cutting box joints. Three pieces of wood from the scrap pile and a screw makes the jig. Several books have the details.

Reply to
Phisherman

"George" wrote in news:41d15c81 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

That show is darned near unwatchable....

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I know there are box joint jigs for router tables and table saws, and box joint templates for dovetail jigs. I am not claiming to have invented box joints. (unlike Al Gore and the Internet)

I was simply asking if anyone has used the standard 7/16" dovetail template to make box joints with a 15/64" bit.

Reply to
toller

That's cheating; however, I must admit that having access to a universal milling machine equipped /w/ electronic, X-Y positioning sure beats the hell out of using a drill press.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have an Omnijig and I was wondering where you came up with the idea of using a 15/64" straight bit, which is a VERY odd sized bit...

That's a pretty small box joint.

I saw the box joint template being used in the video but haven't decided on buying the template yet...

toller wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I went and looked at the Freud site...

don't sell any bits in the 64's...

Where are you buy> Needing to play with my new toy (a 24" omnijig), but not actually needing

Reply to
Pat Barber

I just did the math; what bit and guide would come together and give equal spaces with the dovetail template. I came up with 1/2" bit and 7/16" guide. I had both, but it was a pretty sloppy fit. Oh well. I bought a 15/32" bit (from Cheyenne Sales) and it is tight but adequate fit.

It is a 7/16" joint, which is only a little smaller than the 1/2 box joint template. One drawback is that it is 1/2" thick max, but how often would you use a box joint on something thicker than that?

If you happen to have a 7/16" bit, it "might" work with the 5/8" guide, but I haven't tried it since I don't have the bit.

Or, you can just spend $70 on the box joint template and miss out on the thrill of discovery.

Reply to
toller