Box joint table saw jig

Hmm - if you're going to do that, why not add a second motor to move the stock over the blade too? Then you could do something else while it makes the joint for you...

...and if you do that then you might as well add a third motor and build

that it can make about any kind corner joint you can think of.

Pull out that Butterfly and a soldering pencil. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Good Point~

Reply to
Leon

Did you see what he did at?:

Swingman

Everytime I see a Leigh jig, I think an X-Y table, and a router motor for the spindle. One of these days, I'll actually do something about it. The last time this came up, I ended up with a boxful of dozukis and waterstones instead, which obviated the need (for the time being).

The single axis jig, as here in the box joint cutter, is a special case in simplicity. It should work equally well on the router table, doing the job of an Incra-style jig. The full set of Incra templates could reasonably be stored in flash. The more I think about it, the simpler it seems and the more generally useful (in the same way that an Incra jig is useful).

Reply to
MikeWhy

Reply to
MikeWhy

Reply to
MikeWhy

And for us unintelligent, non-resourceful folks, who have unreasonable difficulties drawing precise involute gear teeth with SU, there are (free) tools like

produce DXF files of gears for use with DummyCAD (and other software).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

You'd need a .dxf import function that is pretty robust to take advantage of that, eh? :-^

Reply to
Robatoy

Who'd ever want to work with an import function that /wasn't/ robust?

(Says the guy who went "Phew!" when he successfully imported his first gear dxf into his ancient DesignCAD Pro 2000)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I have multiple cad packages that can do that.

I have a excel spread sheet that generates gears and the output can be imported for a gear in my cad. Kinda neat. I made some spiral gears that hang from a line and dangle below.

Mart> >>> Their problem ... this guy nicely illustrate that more than a few

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Now, exactly what, from ALL my posts in that thread shown above, brought on this shit about "precise involute gear teeth with SU"??

Reply to
Swingman

Probably the mistaken presumption of a shared understanding that the role of the gears in precisely positioning the work implies a free turning, backlash free mechanism. ;) I think I would have just cut a hob on the knee mill and made the plywood gears that way. Very little drawing or figuring involved, obviating the obvious problems.

Reply to
MikeWhy

My apologies - I was experiencing an adversity/frustration overload and shouldn't have posted anything anywhere...

...and MikeWhy was right that one of the headaches involved backlash in a trough-type reflector tracking mechanism subject to (mostly) unpredictable wind loading.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Reply to
Robatoy

I haven't actually ever made a hob, but know of the general principles. If your gears are non-metallic, wood or GRP, the problem might be even simpler. Better still, if the geartrain is a worm gear, a simple tap -- the things used to cut internal threads -- are perfectly serviceable hobs for cutting the worm wheel.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Hobbing is the least accurate but highest production rate process for making a gear.

Least back lash is with a worm/wheel drive.

The higher the ratio, the less the back lash.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Your suggestion is appreciated, but this thing needs to be thermally driven (as opposed to motor driven) - and if I need to use a geared approach, it will probably be a sliding rack with one or two simple spur gears.

It's one of those problems that /seems/ like should have a simple and inexpensive solution, but every attempt so far has led to unacceptable complexity and/or cost.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

parts....VERY universal and cheap. Or

Those nodding oil pump things I see all over the country-side around Petrolia? Your reciprocal motion on one end, the same, but fulcrummed (LOL) on the other as a pump?

Reply to
Robatoy

Locking against heavy loading would seem to suggest a worm. PV? ;) A Stirling pumped "hydraulic" motor/water wheel? I know... complexity.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Hmm - I hadn't though about this, but will.

This comes closest to what I'm working on - except that that the power source is solar heat. I think I can make it work with a flat panel, but the efficiency (which translates into ROI here) goes way up if high-temperature heat is used. That requires a collector aiming mechanism to track the sun.

Recently I got a video of the first engine actually pumping water (not doing a very good job yet, but still not bad for a first try) in Pakistan.

sight glass on the piston shows the pump displacement, and the pumped volume should match that. I think their problem is check valves with too-strong springs.

The sun-tracker will, of course, need to make one (controlled) cycle per day, and somehow (automagically) start out facing east in the morning.

Exactly! The same, only different! (ROFL)

Reply to
Morris Dovey