Box Door help

I am carving a chest. All 6 sides will be carved. The front will have 2 doors, half width and about 1 1/2" deep. All opening joints will be carved over to hide the joint. What I am having trouble with is how to hinge the doors to hide the hinges. The doors will have to side out about 3/4" to 1" To swing open. The swing will be about 135 deg. for each door. The carving will vary from 1/4" to 3/4" in depth. I hope this makes sense to someone, I wrote it and it don't too much sense to me.
--
Richard,
Richard L. Rombold WIZARD WOODWORKING 489 N. 32nd. St. Springfield, Or .97478
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 16:10:05 -0800, Richard L. Rombold wrote:

Use Euro-style hinges. you rout out a round mortise using a forstner bit on the back of the door, and the hinges are completely hidden. You decide whether you want inset or overlay doors, and the angle you want them to open to, and select the hinges accordingly. Blum hinges are quality and strong :)
Richard,
Not sure this will work exactly as you're describing but this site http://www.suigenerisfurniture.co.uk/gpcdet.htm has somewhat of an example on how to incorporate the hinges into the carvings. Hiding the hinges may be more difficult than incorporating them into the design.
You may want to try carving wooden knuckle hinges into the stile of the door and the frame and then using the above example to make them part of the carving. From the work I saw on your web site, you certainly are capable of doing that.
Bob S.
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <DIV><!--StartFragment -->&nbsp;I am carving a chest. All 6 sides will be carved. The front will have 2 doors, half width and about 1 1/2" deep. All opening joints will be carved over to hide the joint. <BR>What I am having trouble with is how to hinge the doors to hide the hinges. The doors will have to side out about 3/4" to 1" To swing open. The swing will be about 135 deg. for each door. The carving will vary from 1/4" to 3/4" in depth.<BR>I hope this makes sense to someone, I wrote it and it don't too much sense to me.<BR><BR>-- <BR></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Richard, </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Richard L. Rombold<BR>WIZARD WOODWORKING<BR>489 N. 32nd. St.<BR>Springfield, Or .97478</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;<A href="http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=thewizz ">http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=thewizz </A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup"</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
i certainly agree this man has the knack and know how to take visual things he sees from the wood,truly gifted hats off to you Richard
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <DIV><!--StartFragment -->&nbsp;I am carving a chest. All 6 sides will be carved. The front will have 2 doors, half width and about 1 1/2" deep. All opening joints will be carved over to hide the joint. <BR>What I am having trouble with is how to hinge the doors to hide the hinges. The doors will have to side out about 3/4" to 1" To swing open. The swing will be about 135 deg. for each door. The carving will vary from 1/4" to 3/4" in depth.<BR>I hope this makes sense to someone, I wrote it and it don't too much sense to me.<BR><BR>-- <BR></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Richard, </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Richard L. Rombold<BR>WIZARD WOODWORKING<BR>489 N. 32nd. St.<BR>Springfield, Or .97478</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;<A href="http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=thewizz ">http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=thewizz </A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup"</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
some form of 'invisible' hinges would seem to be a possibility. see <http://www.soss.com for a couple of possibilities.

Use a euro style hinge. They come types to fit both frameless and face framed style doors.
Rockler has them as well as relatively inexpensive jigs for setting the hinges and a 35 MM drill bit jig that works well.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net