Box Door help

I am carving a chest. All 6 sides will be carved. The front will have 2 doors, half width and about 1 1/2" deep. All opening joints will be carved over to hide the joint. What I am having trouble with is how to hinge the doors to hide the hinges. The doors will have to side out about 3/4" to 1" To swing open. The swing will be about 135 deg. for each door. The carving will vary from 1/4" to 3/4" in depth. I hope this makes sense to someone, I wrote it and it don't too much sense to me.

Reply to
Richard L. Rombold

Use Euro-style hinges. you rout out a round mortise using a forstner bit on the back of the door, and the hinges are completely hidden. You decide whether you want inset or overlay doors, and the angle you want them to open to, and select the hinges accordingly. Blum hinges are quality and strong :)

Reply to
tmbg

I am carving a chest. All 6 sides will be carved. The front will have 2 doors, half width and about 1 1/2" deep. All opening joints will be carved over to hide the joint. What I am having trouble with is how to hinge the doors to hide the hinges. The doors will have to side out about 3/4" to 1" To swing open. The swing will be about 135 deg. for each door. The carving will vary from 1/4" to 3/4" in depth. I hope this makes sense to someone, I wrote it and it don't too much sense to me.

Reply to
Bob S.

I am carving a chest. All 6 sides will be carved. The front will have 2 doors, half width and about 1 1/2" deep. All opening joints will be carved over to hide the joint. What I am having trouble with is how to hinge the doors to hide the hinges. The doors will have to side out about 3/4" to 1" To swing open. The swing will be about 135 deg. for each door. The carving will vary from 1/4" to 3/4" in depth. I hope this makes sense to someone, I wrote it and it don't too much sense to me.

Reply to
Dan Parrell

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Use a euro style hinge. They come types to fit both frameless and face framed style doors.

Rockler has them as well as relatively inexpensive jigs for setting the hinges and a 35 MM drill bit jig that works well.

Reply to
Mike G

Thank for all the coments and help. I think at this time I will go with a tpye of inline hinges and a sliding panel in the case. And yes "T" the bottom will be carved. The box will be for 2 thing

  1. enterly in a carving show and
2
Reply to
Richard L. Rombold