Bought a new toy

It's a delta 31-300 6x48"/12" belt/disk sander:

be here on monday. Looks like it might be a relatively new machine since there aren't too many reviews out there. Does anyone have any experience with this machine?

I have a good dust collector which sounds like a necessity. I also wish it was the closed stand version, but that's about $400 more which I didn't think was worth it. I may make my own base for extra storage and to get the machine up higher anyway (i'm 6'5"). For the extra $400 you get this dust bag that I would never use. But you also get a larger cast iron table for the disk sander which I really want. Depending on how stupid delta part pricing is, I may order the part.

I combined three different discount codes on amazon and got it for $599 with free shipping. The grizzly equivalent (G1183) is $517 with a 1 horse motor instead of a 1.5 horse motor and no stand. This looks like a different design than the grizzly. The griz looks like the jet. The griz is also direct drive, this one is driven by a belt. The delta motor is also tefc. So I figure $83 for a stand, extra half horse, tefc, and belt drive is probably worth it.

Anyway, I'll try to post a review once I get it all together. I'm expecting the supplied disk and belt to majorly suck. Can anyone suggest a good online source for disks and belts and also the best grit to use for both? Also, I'm not sure if this has a graphite pad under the belt. If it doesn't where can I get one and how much of a big deal is this? thanks.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

G'day Brian, Can't give any suggestions for purchasing consumables as I'm in Australia. As to belt grits, I use 80g almost exclusively for both the belt and disk. From reading some of the reviews, it seems that the paper is attached to the disk with adhesive. If this is the case I would strongly recommend that you fit a Velcro pad and by suitable sanding disks. Makes life a hell of a lot easier. Not sure how much of a benefit a graphite pad would be under the belt. When I first purchased my machine about 5 years ago, I intended to get one as all of the sanders I had used in the industry where fitted with them. The cost was pretty prohibitive then so I did without and have been doing so ever since.

You will find that this an invaluable piece of equipment. Have fun

regards John

Reply to
John B

I recently got their $259 version and it has a graphite pad. The belt frame isn't well supported, so belt tracking is problematic, but for what I spent, I guess that's to be expected. At least I got a step up in power from the Delta 4"belt x 6"disk sander.

Dave

Reply to
David

Thanks for the info. I use the velcro pads for the random orbit sander and like it a lot. It hadn't occured to me to find such a thing for this machine.

As for the graphite pad, I read a review or post or something somewhere where someone had complained that the metal under the belt (the techncial term escapes me at the moment) ended up developing divots and depressions so that over the years, it had become no longer flat. I guess this is a function of the hardness of the metal, abrasiveness of the back side of the belt (belt quality?), and how hard you're pressing against the front of the belt. I suspect it will never be an issue for me since I'm nothing like a production shop. If I can spend a few dollars and make the machine last an extra 20 years though, it's probably worth it.

oh, does anyone use those rubber erasers to clean out the belt and disk from time to time, or just ignore the sand paper cloging problem?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I had a long time internal debate with myself about this. I had decided to get the smaller grizzly one with the closed stand. iirc, it has a 9" disk though, and I really thought the 12" disk would get more use. I wasn't completely sure that I wouldn't upgrade the machine later. And since I fall squarely in the cry-once category, I opted for the larger machine. I wish grizzly made a chinese version of the closed stand delta/jet/powermatic monsters. I'm sure I would have bought that machine instead. The current amazon discount codes helped the decision along though.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I have the "eraser" sitting next to the sander and I DO use it periodically, and it works.

Dave

Reply to
David

I usually leave a 100 grit disk in my 12 incher at all times. I typically use the tool for fine tuning fits and cleaning up bandsawn outside curves. I actually have had good enough results with Delta branded disks available locally, so I haven't sought others. My absolute favorite disks for my ROS are made by Mirka. The only power sanding media I DON'T really like is the Porter Cable stuff sold in BORGS.

Any marks left by the 100 grit are pretty easily cleaned up by hand, with a sanding block or scraper.

Get one of these, they're sold under many brands and worth their weight in gold:

Your sanding media will last and last!

I don't have a stationary belt sander so I can't comment on belts. The

12" disk is a fantastic addition to a typical shop.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

YEAH. Probably the smartest thing you can buy for a sander. These extend the paper at least 10 times over. They work great and QUICKLY.

Reply to
Leon

B a r r y wrote in news:FN6Cf.8663$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

IIRC, someone posted here likely years ago, that they'd gotten crepe soled shoes at garage sales (for next-to-nothing) that worked well.

I've used the stick things, and they do work very well.

Reply to
John Thomas

Amen. Well worth the price. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Thanks guys. I picked one up from lee valley along with a new belt and disk.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Might as well and spring for the real ting at $5 as mine has lasted for ummm over 10 years.

Reply to
Leon

Kind of like using "old" pantyhose and toothbrushes in the shop?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Oddly Yeah. LOL. Years ago I used old panty hose to apply stain. I was originally taught that the panty hose does not absorb pigment. I have however been using old t-shirt material for many years and see no difference. The t-shirt can only absorb so much stain and I really hated it when the panty hose would snag a corner and cause a run in my panty hose. :~)

Reply to
Leon