Bosch Reaxx Table Saw

Page 1 of 7
Looks like the SawStop competition is heating up. This is a pretty good review of the job site saw by a Bosch rep.
Nice to see that the SawStop patents did not choke the competition as some thought might happen.
It will be interesting to see if Bosch or others will come up with a larger more stationary saw.
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/videos/tt-2015-03-31-bosch-reaxx-table-saw/2194198
On 9/15/15 2:36 PM, Leon wrote:

And you're back to work in 5 minutes, instead of heading out for a new blade. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Or headed to the ER.
--
GW Ross

Love is grand. Divorce is twenty grand.
On 9/15/15 3:51 PM, G. Ross wrote:

You know this is "saw-stop" alternative that prevents damage to human flesh, right?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Yea. I was thinking of the alternative to no saw-stop at all.
--
GW Ross

Any bureaucracy re-organized to
On 9/15/2015 3:34 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Only if you don't have but the one blade. LOL
I cringe at the thought of tripping mthe break on my Forrest Dado King set.
It will be interesting to see of SawStop has a position on the blade continuing to spin after dropping vs. their set up.
On 9/15/2015 7:02 PM, Leon wrote:

I don't care if it spins as long as it works and does not bite me. Competition is a good thing.

Exactly. As long as there is competition. Gass tried to change that, though. I don't think it matters that much anymore, though. The patents will expire in a few years (2019, IIRC).
On 9/15/2015 8:11 PM, krw wrote:

You are rehashing what is done and cannot be changed. Would you not really like to see and hear explanations of the differences by both parties IF you were in the market. Would you use choice reasoning from what you were impressed by, or hearing from either brand that it works.

Is it?

Sure. Information is good but in this case what the consumer thinks isn't important. Only the court matters.
I did read Gass' patents, though (and I used to read technical patents as part of my job) and the things are very well written. There isn't a lot of wiggle room around them. Gass is a lot of things but dummy isn't one of them.
On 9/15/2015 7:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hell Yeah.
But we not being experts about this technology it would be a good thing to hear their take. They might divulge something we might overlook. And it would be up to us to determine if it was worth hearing. Either way I think, if I were in the market, that I would want to hear reasoning for details from both sides.
On 9/15/15 6:02 PM, Leon wrote:

Wait, I'm confused. The Bosch doesn't damage the blade, right? So you flip the trigger over and you're back to work.
--

-MIKE-

Strictly from a safety point of view. Technically the SS has the drop down as an additional line of defense. Just as a possible example, either saw could possibly jam from a build up of debris and the blade might not drop. Then the SS might be the better setup with redundant safety.

Not to mention that by moving the blade *away* from you, it keeps your hand out of the sharp bits even if your hand is being propelled into them (eg. a kickback situation).
On 09/15/2015 6:02 PM, Leon wrote: ...

Was a sidebar article in FWW a few months ago -- most times it appears blades can be repaired after a SS crash. I was quite surprised how little actual damage was incurred the blade in the one shown; the Al brake material is quite lot soft so it just deforms not causing all that much havoc and destruction as one imagines will be...I suspect the laundry bill will still be nearly as expensive after any event :)

I too have heard that the brake does not necessarily damage the blade beyond repair. But considering that, new SS cartridge $80-90. And to simply sharpen a Forrest II 40 tooth blade plus shipping both ways is just shy of $50. Repairs would be on top of that. So in this example, the SS expense would be $150 minimum.
Considering that, the Bosch wins hands down. But you have to consider that the Bosch only uses one line of defense to prevent you from being cut during a trigger. While both saws use the drop down feature to protect you if that feature was compromised with perhaps a build up of debris that prevented the blade from dropping below the surface the redundant brake feature might be the air bag thar assists the seat belt.
On 09/16/2015 8:43 AM, Leon wrote:

Not joining the argument but I'd say the likelihood of sufficient to cause failure of the trip mechanism is miniscule at best and likely not physically possible to accumulate sufficient mass of material in places it would have to be to have caused same.
The far likelier issue w/ either is a sensor failure on demand I'd suspect.
On 9/16/2015 9:00 AM, dpb wrote:

That is possible too. But debris build up could happen with a stray chunk lodging in there somewhere, these mechanisms are pretty complicated under the hood compared to a saw with out the safety feature. But like you said it is unlikely for that to happen but if you are paying a premium for a safety feature redundancy might be an advantage.
On 09/16/2015 9:41 AM, Leon wrote: ...

The complexity is in the electronics, however, not the mechanicals.
I'd also posit the SS "brake" isn't redundant; it only works if the retraction is successful as the blade slamming into the pawl is the brake--if it don't retract, it don't slam.

On 9/16/2015 12:56 PM, dpb wrote:

Wrong. The brake is fired into the blade by a spring, regardless of the blade dropping. It's that action that causes the blade to drop. It tries to remove some of the inertia.
--
Jeff