Bosch 4000-09 table saw not flat

Hi all -

I've just bought a Bosch 4000-09 table saw. While setting the saw up, I discovered to my surprise that the table isn't completely flat.

The problem is this: when I place a straight rule across the table, parallel to the blade but about 1" away from it, I find that the rule doesn't sit flat -- it rocks backward and forward, indicating that the table is higher in the middle than at the front or back. So, for instance, if I press down on the rule at the front of the table, it rises about 1mm off the table at the back -- and vice versa.

What's puzzling, however, is that if I try the same procedure, but with the rule at the edge of the table (i.e., still parallel to the blade, but as far from it as the table width will allow), the rule lies exactly flat along the table.

I've tried different rules, and even used the back of the rip fence, and in every case I get the same c. 1mm play in the center of the table.

This morning, I visited Lowes, to look at a display 4000-09. The saw didn't seem to suffer from the problem -- the table beside the blade is completely flat.

So, I phoned Bosch to discuss the problem. They told me that the saw is intended for rough cutting, and the 1mm play is within the design tolerances. I'm not sure whether I should accept this response, or instead return the saw under Bosch's 30-day return policy.

I'd appreciate input from the forum, especially 4000-09 owners, as to whether the 1mm play is acceptable, or whether I have a lemon on my hands.

Many thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Rich Townsend

Did they say what the tolerances were?

1mm seems like a lot (more than 1/16 if my convertor is calibrated correctly), I would return it to the place I bought it.
Reply to
RayV

"Rich Townsend" wrote

Tough call ...Bosch is right, for the price of an under $400 table saw. Problem is, you're liable to find the same problem these days at 5 times that.

How does the saw cut? If it does the intended job, unless you can exchange for a known unit that has tighter tolerances, you may just have to live with today's "perfection".

Reply to
Swingman

1mm = .03936996" 1/32" = .03125000"
Reply to
HDRDTD

guess my convertor was correctly calibrated.

Reply to
RayV

Guess again :^)

Reply to
Paul Hastings

On a $2000 saw I'd hope they would replace the top under warranty if it was 40 thou out of flat.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I bought a 14" bandsaw from Rikon and the table was 1/64" (0.017") low on one corner. They promptly replaced it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard