Bosch 3915 opinions

I just got the bosch 3915 slide miter saw. It seems pretty nice. The only flaw I can see is that the guard operation is really stiff and choppy. No big deal though, a few strokes with a file will take care of the problem. I got the saw for 410.00 Canadian! (you cant argue with that). What's the general opinion of this saw in the woodworking community?
Thanks,
Mike
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:47:54 GMT, "Michael Billings"

I don't have an actual user experience to share, however at one time, while seriously considering getting a slider, I did the rounds at some tool stores that had several kinds (Berland's in Chicago, International Tool in Davie, FL, etc.). The Bosch had the smoothest motion of all of them: Milwaukee, Makita, Hitachi, Delta, Dewalt, all of them.
Of course preeminence in one tool doesn't necessarily translate to quality in another in the same company's wares, but Bosch sure does make a quality jigsaw, so I'd expect their slider to be pretty good, too.
I haven't gotten around to getting a slider because I still haven't resolved the question of whether I'm going to keep my old Sears RAS yet. And I have a decent working Makita miter saw, so there's no hurry. However, are there any more at that price?
Oh, by the way...YOU SUCK!!!
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

I learned a bit of trivia the other day concerning the "first" jig saw. I was always under the impression that Bosch made the first Jig saw.
I guess if Chevrolet quit labeling the Corvette as a Chevrolet and stuck a GM badge on it this essentially would be the same.
In 1946 Albert Kauffman, an engineer for Scintilla AG, (A company owned by Bosch) was intrigued by the ability of his wife's sewing machine to make intricate stitches. Soon the engineer realized he could replace the needle in the sewing machine with a saw blade. His idea evolved in the first "portable" electric jig saw.
And the first was a barrel grip.
The information was taken from the 2005 Workbench Buyer's guide, Tools & Accessories , August home.
Thought you might enjoy that tid bit.
Leon said:

Actually, there is an interesting show on the History Channel that goes into great depth, with pictures, on the inventions of the circular saw blade (a shaker woman), the jigsaw (a German), the electric drill (a German), the edge sanding belt sander (Porter Cable) and other modern woodworking tools.
I believe it is called History of Workshop Tools, and it runs every couple of months, or so it seems.
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

No telling which bit of information is correct. The article that I read indicated that the jig saw inventor, Albert Kaufman was a Swiss engineer.
I have the same saw and have had no problems at all. The action is very smooth and the motor is strong. So far so good. Got it at a WWing show, I won't say the price so you won't feel bad. ;-)                             Mark L.
Michael Billings wrote:

Where did you get it?
Ed