Bosch 3915 10" Slide Compound Miter Saw - sticky blade guard

ball bearing cam blade guard mechanism sticks and needed some initial force to get it started. Its ok once the downward motion get started but a little dangerous to use that much force to get it going. None of the other saw has this problem. Anyone knows if Bosch has a fix?

Reply to
# Fred #

On Fri 11 Aug 2006 06:37:58p, "# Fred #" wrote in news:etKdnRhbm6E1iUDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I own that model saw and do not have that problem. It's the most-used tool in my shop but that's still probably only five or six times a week stretched out over a year.

However... since I'm not an expert or trained on those saws or anything, I feel that entitles me to hazard a guess.

Ya got the guard, the metal arm attached to the guard, the bearing that the metal arm rides on, and the rubber baby buggy bumber that the guard rests upon when it's... um, at rest.

I don't feel much force when I start the blade downward but I do feel some, and it's from the part where that bearing has to ride up the step on the arm that forces the arm down further so the guard retracts.

So, if there's something wrong with that bearing or with the part of the arm that the bearing rides on, you're going to feel much more force at first, and then after the bearing rides up that step, none at all.

Might that be it?

Reply to
Dan

That is it, all the force is where the bearing rides up on the initial part of the step up metal arm when is at rest. If I place a spacer between the rubber baby buggy bumper and the bearing, its much easier to retract the blade guard. Must be some adjustment out of alignment. Another person noted the same problem at Amazon.com.

Reply to
# Fred #

I had this problem right from the start. Bosch is aware of the problem and will cover it under the warranty (at least they will here in Canada). Don't try to fix it but take it to a Bosch service centre. Mine has worked perfectly ever since.

Regards, John

Reply to
JohnB