Bosch 3915 10" SCMS good price?

Got one on order, $354 out the door including delivery charge, so what's the catch? Is dual bevels on other saws worth that much more?

Reply to
Fred

That's about what I paid for mine and I'm happy with it. One of the most-used tools in the shop.

Yes, dual bevels are worth more and the newer models have more bells n whistles. But the real reason it's so cheap is that the model's discontinued.

Reply to
else24

Amazon just lowered the price to $304 with free shipping...

Reply to
blueman

I've been tracking the price on those things for years. When I lived near Chicago I used to stop in at Berlands House of Tools (THE greatest tool store on the planet) frequently and one of my acts during each tour was to operate the carriage of each of the sliders on display. And they had 'em all: Hitachi, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, etc. By a noticable margin, the smoothest action was that of the 3915. I've lusted for one since my first try at it.

When I first started looking at them, the 3915 was near $600. I watched over the years as the price dipped below $500 and then eventually (when they introduced the 4410--I think it is) below $400. As far as I was concerned, it was a good value throughout that range of prices. I haven't bought one as I have a workhorse Makita LS1030 chop saw and a radial arm saw and I just can't justify the expense--just yet.

Of course, now that the 44xx (I'm even thinking 12" now) is out, I'm back up to the $600 range and it's even more difficult to justify at that price.

But $354 is enough to start me thinking that I can live without the dual bevels to get that oh-so-smooth action at that price.

To answer your other question, if you do a lot of crown molding as a pro, you might want to spend the bucks for something bigger and newer. As a home hobbyist I can't imagine you'd find yourself limited with the 3915.

Please report back and tell me what you think about that slide action.

Reply to
LRod

and Amazon also has the dual bevel 4410 on "sale" for $429.

Reply to
blueman

I thought free shipping too, but look again its $49.

Reply to
Fred

I find the slide action pretty good. I've had to adjust the fence to get it square with the blade. And replaced the blad because there was a nail I didn't catch. That's all the adjusting I've done. I can't feel any play in the slide rods. Makes nice cuts.

I still think it was just so cute of them to give it a two-degree capability on one side so they could call it a "dual bevel" saw on the box. Fortunately I haven't found a vendor yet who actually tries to call it that.

I'd REALLY like a saw with a more comfortable ergonomic handle. That's my biggest beef with the 3915. They had to know that handle was a pain in the butt when they sent it out.

If I used it all day I'd definitely upgrade. Otherwise, nice saw.

Reply to
else24

I just checked and you are correct. However, when I ordered it 2 months ago it was $354 with free shipping plus $25 off orders over $200.

I also noticed that many other tools (including the PC sidewinder I am looking at) no longer qualify for free shipping.

So between getting rid of the recent $25 off $200 and $50 off $250 offers and by eliminating the free shipping, Amazon has significantly raised the effective price of tools by as much as 30%.

Pretty deceptive given that they are heavily promoting "new lower price" on many of their tools -- yeah right, not if you include lack of discount coupon and free shipping.

Should be interesting to see if tools sales volumes go down on Amazon.

Reply to
blueman