Bosch 1617EVS v the Porter Cable 890

I was all set to ask for a Bosch 1617 from Santa this Christmas when PC announces the 890. Can anyone comment on this new router compared to the Bosch?
Thanks.
Terry Ilardi
PC has some good routers and although I am not familiar with their 890, I would still opt for the Bosch, I have used them for years and have, I think 9 of the newer model 1617 some of their 2-1/4 hp and their 1608 laminate trimmers. Good machines that have lasted the test of time and some heavy duty use.
Good Luck, George

Terry Ilardi wrote:

I don't have the 890, but I have several of the 690 series and two of the Bosch 1617. I'd take the Bosch over Porter-Cable - smoother, easier to adjust, feels better in my hands.
I have the 1716EVS as well as the 693 (690 with both handles). The 1617 stays in the table but I like it much better than the 690...except for the damn oxidation problem on the barrel..
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

I just bought the 1617 kit yesterday. Any steps I should take to deal with this 'oxidization problem'?
--
- Ray ROT 13: snipped-for-privacy@pbtrpb.pn
Without geometry, life is pointless.

BeerBoy notes:

I think it was a problem with the earlier routers: I've got one, and it does have the corrosion problem: nothing critical, but an occasional pain in the tuchus to clean up, though it's held in check (mostly) with a coating of paste wax. I've also got the new set, but haven't had time to check it out yet.
Charlie Self
"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower
Where is the oxidization?

how
does
the
paste
yardstick
Beer Boy asks:

On the barrel, primarily. Any exposed magnesium parts, though. A quick wipe with 0000 steel wool and a coat of Johnson's takes care of it.
Charlie Self
"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mine didn't oxidize for years, until I left it inside an MDF router table. The oxidation on mine is only cosmetic, but it's kind of a weird coincidence that it didn't happen until it was encased in MDF.
Barry
I used my 1617 today for the first time doing raised panels in a Freud table and it is nice and smooth. Easy to adjust and not to loud. My only concerns about the Porter Cable is this is a new model that seems to compete with Bosch I would be cuatious in getting the first production of these.
I also used my Bosch ROS and it makes sanding an easier job.
D.Martin