Bosch 1617 Bearing Replacement

My 1617, single speed router is getting a little noisy and I suspect at least the bottom bearing is getting rough. I have both bearing and have Googled for repair info, but found little that is useful. I did find the exploded parts diagram.
Bottom bearing looks fairly straight-forward but upper looks like it will require a complete tear-down.
Has anyone torn into one of these? Any special tools needed to remove the bearings?
Thanks
RonB
On 01/08/2010 05:13 PM, RonB wrote:

Might want to check this thread, including the response from Bosch at the bottom.
http://www.routerforums.com/starting-off/5097-bosch-1617evs-router-repair.html
Chris

If the brushes are making bad contact (sparking, like makes a nearby AM radio go crazy), that causes irregular torque and the motor sounds loud. Clean the brush holders and inspect the brushes for wear first (it's easy).
Get a REAL arbor press or have a pro put the bearings in, it matters a lot how straight you press them.
RonB wrote:

If the brushes are making bad contact (sparking, like makes a nearby AM radio go crazy), that causes irregular torque and the motor sounds loud. Clean the brush holders and inspect the brushes for wear first (it's easy).
Get a REAL arbor press or have a pro put the bearings in, it matters a lot how straight you press them. ================================ If it gets more involved than brush replacement, it's time to let the pros do the rebuild.
As "whit3rd" indicates, properly installing a set of 20,000+ RPM bearings is an acquired skill.
My guess is a rebuild would be about 2/3 cost of new.
A set of brushes, factory service center installed, a lot less, probably less than $20.00.
Lew