Bosch 1591EVSK jig saw

Mine finally arrived after a three week backorder. This is a brand new model from Bosch. I have minimal experience with a jigsaw, even though I've owned a craftsman jigsaw for two decades. It just never did seem to be that useful. This Bosch is a different story. Its like a refined and more powerful version of the original Bosch barrel body saw.

Two interesting features stand out.

First is the blade change system. I have not actually used a Milwaukee saw to see what a good blade change system looks like but I don't see how any saw could possibly be easier or faster than the new Bosch, unless you measure blade change times in milliseconds. Just push the blade in until it clicks. To remove it, grab a lever and move it about a 1/2". The blade jumps out. That's it.

Second is the blade movement stabilizer (that's what I call it). Its a pincher-like arrangement that can be engaged to put light pressure on both sides of the back third of the blade. It reminds me of the ceramic guides on a Laguna band saw. I don't know how well this works or how it affects blade life. My guess is that heat dissapation is pretty good, because there's a lot of surface area, relative to the thickness of the guides. I imagine the engineers spent a fair amount of design and prototyping to get it right - at least I hope so. The guides are replaceable.

Bosch advertises a fancy speed control system in this saw. I guess that would show itself in cutting thicker wood. I don't know.

Last noteable item is that this saw is fatter than the smaller Bosch barrel body. It looks like it would be clumsy, but it did not feel that way in my limited use. I think my hands are slightly larger than average size.

As I get more experience with this saw, I may mention some of the pluses or minuses I observe. In the meantime, if you're a hardcore professional that has hundreds of hours using a jigsaw, please tell me what kinds of challenges you would throw at one to see how well it performs. For now I am really tickled with it.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

This in my opinion is the biggest advance bosch did with their jig saw. The former model blade ejection system was difficult and was a pain in the butt. All in all, I also give the new bosch 2 thumbs up. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

All in all, I also give the new bosch 2 thumbs up.

A REAL woodworker doesn't have 2 thumbs!

Reply to
Limey Lurker