Bosch 1587 discounted at Lowes

Page 2 of 2

: What I have been looking for, is a chuck, keyless or otherwise, which : is mounted on a 1/4" hex shaft so I can pop it in my impact driver : when I need a quick pilot hole of an odd size..... besides, the drills : which come mounted in a 1/4" hex shank, all seem to suck. : Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.
Amazon sells several.
Here's a good one:
I also have the Makita, which works well, but the Hitachi seems smoother.
-- Andy Barss

Thank you kindly, sir. Seriously. MUCH appreciated.

It's a keyless chuck in a cordless drill. The problem is that the drill's heaviest part is off center ( the battery) so one little flinch and the drill bit breaks off. The suggestion to use a nail with the end sharpened sounds like a decent solution so I'll have to try that one out.

It's a keyless chuck in a cordless drill. The problem is that the drill's heaviest part is off center ( the battery) so one little flinch and the drill bit breaks off. The suggestion to use a nail with the end sharpened sounds like a decent solution so I'll have to try that one out.

It's a keyless chuck in a cordless drill. The problem is that the drill's heaviest part is off center ( the battery) so one little flinch and the drill bit breaks off. The suggestion to use a nail with the end sharpened sounds like a decent solution so I'll have to try that one out.

I can't say I've run in to that problem. Most my woodworking holes are of the 3/16-1/8" minimum variety, and the model railroading holes are usually done with a pin vise.
When I do break a 3/16" bit, usually the procedure is to grab vice grips or the like and just twist and pull it out. If I'm lucky, I can get the chuck back over the remaining part of the bit and then it's easy.
Puckdropper

Instead of using a drill bit, try grinding the head off of a nail, then sharpen the point on two sides, opposite each other.
You pretty much can't break it, they are cheap and they work well for a pilot hole.
--
Jim in NC

Question: How do you remove a broken drill bit for those times that it doesn't work? Just as easy to snap a drill bit off with a pair of vise grips as it is with a drill chuck.

Grip it as close to the workpiece as possible, with the pliers perpendicular to the bit. Grip very firmly, and rotate the bit slowly back and forth.
"Upscale" wrote:

---------------------------------- A pin vise should solve your problem, they are specifically designed for such an application.
Lew
On 9/13/10 3:32 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I worked with a carpenter who would use finish nails for pilot holes like that. He would chuck em up by the sharp end, then snip off the head, straight, leaving a barb on the end. Because nails are "soft" they would never snap when heated up, plus they would bend a lot more and still twist.
He never had to buy pilot bits either. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Or a Dremel Moto-Tool or similar.
wrote in message

That's because the flutes get packed with shavings and jam the drill in the hole. While drilling, pull it out of the hole periodically to clear the shavings.

AKA peck drilling. Keeps thing cooler as well. Drilling in acrylics teaches one quickly to keep clearing the bit, because if a small bit jams in a material like Corian, it ain't coming out.

Where tf have you been, you old warhorse, you? Brooks & Dumb have been relatively quiet around these parts, so you didn't miss much. <EG>

My computer died so I've been busy rebuilding, recovering and installing Windows 7. Then I bought a Festool TS55 plunge saw, a CT22 vacuum and a Domino. They've led me to spend quite a deal of time in the Festool Owners Group. Mucho information there on many woodworking topics and tools (not just Festool) with nary an argument or political discussion in sight. I think the fact that it's a Festool owned and operated site has much to do with the pleasant behaviour.
I've been looking in here on occasion, but as you said, B & D have been relatively quiet so I haven't been inclinded to say much. :)
Upscale wrote: ...

Indeed, cens^h^h^h^hmoderation can have that result... :) (or :( depending on one's pov, I guess...)

LOL, That sounded a lot like Red Green.