Bosch 1584 - replace with Makita 4340FCT?

I bought a Bosch 1584 AVSK JigSaw a few weeks back. When I got it home, the variable speed switch had dead spots. If I changed the speed during operation it went dead in mid stride, and was variable in operation. I took it back and got a replacement from my vendor. On the replacement one, the dust blowing switch has only one position and is jammed, unline the previous one (but the VS works properly). Both of these wre new in sealed boxes.
Is this typical of Bosch quality (this is my first Bosch tool - everything else is PC).
I think I will return this and get a Makita 4340 FCT for similar money. How does it compare from a vibration and blade deflection standpoint?
Thanks, J
"J" writes:
<snip a tale of woes with Bosch>

For my money Bosch is super. I have a couple of their tools, beat the hell out of them, and they are still ready to work when I pick them up.
Milwaukee and Porter-Cable complete my top 3 choices, which is based on using and abusing their products on a daily basis.
SFWIW, I'm building a fiberglass boat which subjects tools to very difficult service not even dreamed of in the furniture building business.
20 years ago, Makita was a player in my world, but not today.
HTH
--
Lew

Snip

NO.!! However, have you hearD about people that cannot wear electric watches because the will not keep time? You cannot get a Bosch Saw to work, I cannot get Bosch Drills to work. I had 3 new ones break on me and 1 was handed to me by a Bosch rep to try out. I do however have 2 great Bosch routers.

For the last 6 or so years maybe up until the last year or so the Milwaukee has come out on top of 90% of the jig saw reviews. I have one and would recommend it. The power switch is on or off. There is a separate speed control wheel. I prefer this over having to hold or readjust the trigger.
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 01:41:32 GMT, "Leon"

The 1584 (barrel grip) to which he refers is the same configuration.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Ahh.. Thank you for pointing that out LRod. J's description of him changing speeds during operation and the speed changing by itself during operation sounded to me like a trigger controlled speed control.
I've used Bosch tools in an industrial setting for years and they have been top notch.
Ed Angell