Bosch 12" axial-glide miter saw.

Page 1 of 2
This is different:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/power-tools/bosch-axial-glide-miter-saw-top-products-2010
http://www.boschtools.com/Innovation/Pages/GCM12SD-Glide-Miter-Saw.aspx
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/power-tools/bosch-axial-glide-miter-saw-top-products-2010
But is it really a better design or just typical modern German engineering for the sake of engineering?
says...

JC:
And there's the rub. I'd have to see it in action or go hunting for reviews. Another thing meriting mention is it is not cheap. 760 was the lowest price encountered.
If anyone has it or beats me schedule's opportunity for prowling the commentaries, it would be interesting to hear the outfall.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

This CMS definitely appeals to wreckers with a severe case of tool lust.
JoeG

Sheesh.
On 10/23/10 12:42 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I say, yes, it's better, if only to save the space behind the saw.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Even if it isn't rigid enough to maintain accurate angles?
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:42:17 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

That was my concern after watching the video. There's a lot of joints there - a lot of room for slop.

On 10/23/10 11:42 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Who said it wasn't rigid enough? I haven't used one, so I don't know. But I have used some tube sliders that had way too much play for the price.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Who said it was?

Bingo. So does this thing address that problem or does it make that worse to gain something else?
On 10/23/10 1:04 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

You like to assume the worst, don't you? :-) I take for granted that a $700 Bosch saw is going to be built very well. And you know, what? If it's not, I take it back for a refund.

I guess we'll find out.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

I'm an engineer. We don't just go rah-rah at every new "innovation" that comes down the pike.

I don't take anything for granted.

I'm not an engineer but I do have a lot of background in how things work or wear (Machine Tool Rebuilder in another lifetime) and I have to say that the more moving parts or joints the more chance for "slop". I have the Bosch 12" slider that I bought when they first came out and it's still real accurate but the tubes are just a c hair sloppy. I haven't looked in the manual but I think I can take up the slop some... I look forward to more reviews by "wreckers" who have hands on experience then I might sell mine and upgrade. It looks real cool too.
RP

I have yet to buy a Bosch power tool that disappointed me. I won't buy this one without hearing the market's reaction, but it's sure on my list.
Sure looks good to me and I need a new one.
The short back stroke looks handy. I wonder if they put softstart into it. One of them had it years ago...either Bosch or Ryobi??

I just bought a 5312 and am rather disappointed in its dust collection, or lack thereof.
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:42:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"

http://www.protoolreviews.com/reviews/power-tools/corded/saws-routers/bosch-axial-glide-12-miter-saw
And some snips:

No laser? How can that be???
Anyway, sounds promising to me. Beyond my budget, but in the range of other top end miter saws.

{and one of mine!}

Well, that certainly is a glowing review, but I'd never heard of that web site, so I wanted to see what sort of review they gave to the Festool CMS. Umm, they didn't. They haven't reviewed a single Festool item, other than the new Systainer and a 3rd party saw blade. How can that be?
That's kind of an odd omission, no? Maybe that's one of the Mercury News type of review sites that always give glowing reviews to movies, even the ones that suck. I know the Bosch doesn't suck, but they just bought right into whatever Bosch fed them, have no on the job experience with the saw, and, well, it's not even on the market yet. Time will tell if the linkage stands up to use and abuse.
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:11:10 -0700, Jim Weisgram quoted:

I'd have to argue with that. Sealed ball bearings do degrade over time, although in this case "time" may be long enough to not matter.
I have worn out a couple of sets in the steering stems of motorcycles :-).

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 23:20:30 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Perhaps there is a wee bit more action on those steering bearings?
-- I am an old man, but in many senses a very young man. And this is what I want you to be, young, young all your life. -- Pablo Casals