Bosch 10.8v I-driver

I thought it was gimmicky at first. Bought it anyway. I'm forever reaching under countertops screwing upwards, always in fear of popping one through (when laminate). The light weight and serious power plus the adjustable angle of the head, makes this a countertopscrewinginstalling dream come true. Good warranty too. (Second Bosch tool I have bought recently which makes me wonder if they're on their way back? Or did I leave?)

'll come back to this in a couple of years.. or when I break it.

Robatoy

those (or the pistol-shaped one) but couldn't justify the cost, especially since I don't install countertops and I just got a new 12V Panasonic. But I did just see that they're coming with a 10.8V impact driver (PS40) in the same series - and a few early reviews seem very positive.

That might be easier to rationalize if I start a project that requires a lot of screwing... Andy

Reply to
Andy

How much are those drills? I have a Makita 7.2 volt right angle drill that I have ad since 1983 and the original battery finally quit taking a charge recently. I seldom use the drill because it has little of today's features other than being battery operated. Not keyless, Not VS, No Clutch, Not real strong. I have been reluctant to spend $40 for a new battery or rebuilt as right angle attachments cost about as much and work with any drill. Did you ever used a right angle drill attachment before getting this drill?

Maybe if I get one of these and because the Li-ion batteries are suppose to last at least twice at long it will be good for 46 years instead of the 23 I gout out of the Makita. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I used one of the Pocket Drivers a while back. That's about the same but pistol shaped. I was completely blown away by the performance -- esp the torque. Definitely not cheap, but if you need a lot of capcacity in a tiny innocent looking form factor it's a bargain.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

About $ 150 in your money. Not cheap. But it is not a cheap piece.

That was my rationale behind this purchase. My Milwaukee 14.4, which has done most of its duty a screwdriver, needs 2 batteries. Relatively speaking, the thing is heavy, big and awkward. (For a screw driver that is). I have an 14.4 impact driver, somewhat lighter, still bulky. The clincher was the other day, one of my guys was screwing down a top, and I could have been doing the same thing at the same time. I despise standing around. We also couldn't get past some internal structural wood to attach the counter top. I brought out my Milwaukee angle drill, but the chuck isn't key-less, it is corded, and has NO 'control' over the amount of twist you can give a screw... a lethal situation as this was a custom laminate top and the Milwaukee angle drill has all the balls needed to sink a screw in (through a cup-washer even) and have it pop out the top of the laminate-----> not a good thing.

Yes. I have one of those Milwaukee attachments and love it. But, it is for those rare occasions when you need to get out of a tight spot. This Bosch is going to earn its keep as a dedicated screwdriver, and I will likely buy another.

That Milwaukee 14.4 is going into year 7..and I worked that hard. 2 new batteries are the same money as the bulk of the Bosch, and the Milwaukee would still be what it is.. a bulky old generation cordless. I also haven't had the time to see if the guts are still up to another set of batteries. Just no time. There's a lot happening on the expansion front... all good. Today I'm getting a quote on getting 3-phase 220 in the new building and I'm getting a used forklift checked out by a mechanic before I buy it. If all lease-agreements work out, I will have room for a ShopBot. (Keeping as eye on the forum for a used one. Morris and Rick are already going: "Oh jeeeeezzz here come the questions"...)

Reply to
Robatoy
\

I am curious why you were impressed by the torque. I wonder if the torque seems more because of its compact size and you have less leverage holding it to counter act the torque. Looking at the specs at the Bosch site, the torque is listed at 100 inch pounds. The 14 volt drill/drivers state 300 inch pounds. While the 14 volt drill has 40% more voltage, and equal comparison would have the smaller driver closer to a 210 inch pounds.

Not doubting your observation just wondering.

Reply to
Leon

positive.http://toolmonger.com/2007/03/27/hands-on-boschs-108v-litheon-impactor/> That might be easier to rationalize if I start a project that

That looks like a good all around tool too. This thing I bought is solving a very specific problem for me. Most other angle drills are at 90-degrees. This head swivels in locking increment...ideal. for me. Now... if it only had a nice bright LED on the nose....

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks for the comments. With that info I think I'll go for a right angle adapter as I would not use the drill any where near daily, closer to probably monthly if that. LOL.

Reply to
Leon

Excuse me while I butt in.. but with the I-Drive I bought, there's tons of leverage. Way more than an ordinary drill. The little pistol-thingy would be just perfect for hanging cabinets when 100 in/lbs of torque is more than adequate for screwing low-roots through PB... or sideways through face-frames, which you'd pre-drill anyway. None of these drivers are power-houses, but we all already have those in other (corded) incarnations.

The point of these things, is that you can keep one in your tool belt, or pocket. Those things bridge a gap between big guns and manual screw drivers.

back to our regular scheduled programming...

Reply to
Robatoy

Likely true, it's not going to break your wrist. My impression is probably related to the fact that I was wedged into a tight space where my 18V behemoth could never go and it was infinitely better than trying to twist a stubby screwdriver 1/8th turn at a time. Still think it's a great little tool -- small enough to carry in the trunk or under the truck seat without a second thought, strong enough to be useful.

Reply to
hex

This I-Drive sank a 3" deck screw into a regular 2x4 without a hiccup and stalled when the screw head went below flush. It's a scewdriver, not a Magnum HoleShooter.

Reply to
Robatoy

Ok, I am with you. 100 inch pounds beats the heck out of the human wrist. I can relate to screwing in tight spots. Hummmm.. Lets stay on track. Many years ago I had 2 small Skil drivers similar in size to the one you used. They were 3.2 volts IIRC, not reeeeeel strong but beat screwing by hand..... Hummm.. The driver even had a locking collar so that you could turn it by hand if its power was not enough. Well, that was 25 years ago.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, the long handle allows that. My old Makita is about 12" long.

Yes.

True I used to have a "small" 3.2 volt Skil that was impressive for what it was.

Reply to
Leon

Robatoy with a Shopbot? That is a scary thought.

With your mad CAD skills and a compliant robotic slave, you will soon be master of your little kingdom!

Congrats on the expansion. You apparently have no idea on how to retire.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

In college, I drove a Mini Cooper for a couple of years...say no more...

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm hoping the 'Bot will turn my solid surface scraps into accessories as well as do sink-cutouts and cooktop cutouts (the sources of scrap) I won't need a big one.. a 48 x 48 will do, I think... with just a router. I don't have the money to do things big, like Rootes vacuums and silly stuff like that... The business model has to prove itself as its own profit centre. Worse case, I'll end up with a pretty cool toyH^H^H^H^tool.

*Diabolical laughter*.. yes!! Then I will spend all my money opening a soft-cloth-all-hands-only carwash... just to be the dream employer for the local college girls..especially in summer...*wrings hands and drools cueing Jethro Tull's Aqualung*

I don't. No idea what it's like to do nothing. On my last trip to Punta Cana DR, I spent quite a bit of time checking out the construction site of a new resort next to the one where we were staying. The construction-super spoke English and answered a lot of my questions. Fascinating. I had never seen so much granite going into 20 buildings, let alone just one. My wife lifted her head off the massage table just long enough to shake it [her head].

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy, Its quite comforting to learn others face the same problems. I'm always apprehensive when it finally comes time to screw down a laminate top onto a run of base cabinets. Run just one screw through the laminate and you've created a disagreable situation. The Bosch angle drill you selected seems to be comfortable tool for the job. Before that was available I replaced a DeWalt 12v drill driver with a Makita 18v Li-ion drill driver. The weight of the 18v Makita was less than the 12v DW. It did have the LED for those upside down on your back dark carcases. You have to remmember to adjust the clutch way down since its got an abundance of torque (450 in-lbs)

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

"you've created a disagreable situation. " thanks for the hearty laugh...LOL...

What I do now, when/where I can, I drill 1/8" pilot holes into the cross bracing and stick in the needed screws, pointing upward, ready for me to screw into place. That stops a lot of fumbling and it also stops the one thing that can ruin your day..and that is to blindly grab a longer screw. The only time I have ever popped one through (out of literally hundreds of tops), was when an 1-1/2 " screw had found it way into my

1-1/4" container. It happened to be inside an appliance garage and the home-owner was very understanding and let me off the hook.

Standing upright, will all kinds of light, helps prevent stuff like that. I now use PB screws with a washer built in.

r----> who thinks "you've created a disagreable situation. " is funny.

Reply to
Robatoy

In the film," Bridge on the River Quai," the Brittish commando (Played by Jack Hawkins) tells the character played by William Holden that " there's always the unexpected." This is the case when the 1 1/2" screw sneakily finds its way into the 1 1/4" container. Its happened to me as well. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

I can't speak for Morris, but I'm certainly willing to answer your questions. Ask away.

One problem I had to deal with is that despite ordering 1" thick sheet plastic, it wasn't 1" ... it varied as much as .020" (+/-) ... some had the equivalent of case hardening (temperature issue with the extruder).

The best one though ... since my bot cuts with an accuracy of about .001" ... I learned I HAVE to allow for some wiggle room when putting parts together. Having a part 6.000" x 6.000" and trying to put it into an opening that is 6.000" x 6.000" requires a press or a BEEG hammer. Now I allow about .003" on both parts and am happy with the results.

BTW ... you're going to need a dust collector. Not some fancy, smancy festy-tool vacuum cleaner ... a real, honest tornado in a box. I've the Delta 1.5 HP dual bag with a cyclone ahead of it. Does well, but my dust shield needs improving on the router.

OK Morris ... your turn!

Regards,

Rick

Reply to