Borg Plywood Surprise

About a week ago, ran up to HD and picked up a piece of 1/4" oak ply for cabinet backs. Got home, pulled the sheet far enough out of the van to slice off what I needed, and carried the piece into the shop. Trimmed it to size on the TS, and then turned it over. I was stunned to see that the veneer on the back was Black Walnut. It had some nasty black streaks in it, but it was walnut for sure. I checked the remainder of the panel, and it had some open knots, and more black streaks, but about 3' long, 4' wide is beautiful, clear, sliced veneer. The last time I bought a sheet of walnut ply it was $75. Needless to say I set that aside, and ran back to HD for more. All the rest had the typical oak or birch seconds on the back :(
Now I need to conjure up a project that needs a walnut back. Paul.

Great find. When I used to work at Lowes, I would find all kinds of great pieces of curly maple. I would then put them on the bottom of the stack and buy them after my shift was over.
That's why I always used to pick mine from the bottom of the stack <G>
Vic

I've seen walnut door skins selling for $5 a piece. Curly maple as well. I used to go looking through all the doors skins in town once a week.

What are "door skins"? And, where does one look for them?

They are 1/8 inch thick sheets of plywood/paneling that are used to sheet interior doors.
Often the back is more interesting than the 'good' side. I have found some amazing samples over the years.
The borg actually sells door skins? 1/8" thick? I'd have to look if they do.
brought forth from the murky depths:

I skinned the cabinet doors in my last kitchen with mahogany skins from the Borg in Oceanside, CA.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
It is not unusual that the "back" of this stuff is more interesting than the front.