Borg?

Page 2 of 2

Well, "sort-of". <grin>
It's a weak pun on the aliens from "Star _TREK_, the Next Generation", As well as a (possibly back-formed) acronym for "<B>ig <O>range <R>etail <G>iant". Referring specifically to Home Depot, originally. Since generalized to refer to any of the "big box" super-stores.
Occasionally 'qualified' with a color, to indicate a particular operation, e.g. "the blue BORG" meaning Lowes. The 'red' BORG is, obviously, Menards.
The Star Trek reference was only somewhat motivated by the 'boxy' nature of the stores. Those aliens were known to invade a territory, and take over *everything*. Their oft-quoted mantra was: "resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated."
The parallels with regard to the superstores vs. the local mom-and-pop operations are obvious. <wry grin>
Robert Bonomi wrote:
Menards.

Ah, a fellow mid-westerner. As I am a cheese-head, at least Menard's is a local Borg.
wch wrote:

Well, it was November 19, 1998 at exactly 12:00 A.M. when Eddie Munster sat down at his keyboard, composed and sent:
Subject: The Borg
The Borg have arrived. I have recently seen a post calling HD the goliath. Well that me be so but my friend, but I call them the Borg. And so does my friend, The Dinger!!!! Beware the Dinger!!!! He always speaks the truth.
They, assimilate. Yes you, little mom and pop hardware store. The competitive pricing policy will eat you alive and assimilate you. It will take the most thoughtfull human and he will turn you in for ten percent of the price difference. We are all guilty, admit it...
The staff there will call it "working for the orange cube. We know it is a Borg Cube!!
The whereabouts of Eddie are unknown today but I'm thinking he became aggregate for a slab poured for a brand new Home Depot. Dinger has not been heard from either.

We're just warming up.
UA100
wch wrote:

While in this group 'Borg' refers to Lowes/Home Depot or whatever particular megastore is crushing your local hardwares and lumber yards, a bachelor friend believes it refers to women. Specifically the credo of the Star Trek alien - "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated."

What humor? I'm too busy scanning up every FWW issue I have to be funny.