Bookshelf, wood choice?

I'm building a bookshelf. It will be about 6' tall by 2-2 1/2' wide. I'm trying to match some furniture in the room. It will have adjustable shelves. What type of wood should I use? AA Plywood? Pine? It should be furniture grade and able to take a dark, almost black colored stain.

✖

If you use A plywood you won't have to worry about shrinking and expansion. You will have to deal with framing the rough edges, but that's not too tough.
Staining pine really dark can be a total bear to get right.
Good luck.
s.
Add pictures here
✖
<dan> wrote in message

If you use plywood, the edges can be covered with an iron on material, or you can glue on wood strips to make a nice finished edge. When you say "furniture grade" the price of pine goes way up. Clear boards are expensive but if you don't mind a few knots, (especially on shelves) #2 pine is good.
Plywood is sturdy, stable, and would make a good bookcase. Wide pine is prone to warping. Plywood edges must be finished (not hard to do)
If you want a very dark stain, check out Minwax Jacobean or Ebony.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 15, 4:34 pm, "dan" <> wrote:

Plywood for the case uprights is a good choice, it's tough and stays straight. Shelf length of only a couple of feet means the shelves needn't be topnotch straight lumber (only a very very bad twist would be noticeable on a short piece), and I'd go with solid softwood.
As for finish, pine and some other softwoods have stain-uptake anomalies. Shellac for primer and a dark tinted varnish should be a safe combination. I did a full clean/condition/stain/varnish operation for bookshelves once, and it took over a week (remember, you have to test on scraps first...).
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 15, 6:34 pm, "dan" <> wrote:

You may want to use plywood but you will have to face the edges, in othe words place stip of hard wood along the edges. If you use oak ply wood you will need to face with oak. If you do this you should be able to stain as dark as you like. And the piece will look good. The oak face will help keep the shelves from sagging which can happen with plywood shelfs depending on the length of the shelve.
Pine can be tough to stain light or dark. tends to sploch.
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
Add pictures here
✖
On 15 Mar 2008 23:34:30 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

A good grade of 3/4" ply might be your best bet. Trim the front edge with a 1.5" x 1/2" solid wood, poplar is a good choice. Or, you can use solid wood (no trim needed). You can fasten the front lip with finish nails or biscuits. For safety sake, secure the bookcase at the top with an L-bracket screwed into a wall stud.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 15, 7:34 pm, "dan" <> wrote:

Lauan or birch ply with poplar banding is cheap and can be stained to match anything.

Add pictures here
✖

If you know how to deal with the fuzz on birch as you try to stain it.
Add pictures here
✖
any of you folks ever here of black ash? grows in the swamps of the northern upper midwest. brown in color grain similar to red oak, but a little softer tighter grain (about 18 growth rings per in. more user friendly than oak at half the price. I love working with the stuff. can be seen on my website. ross www.highislandexport.com
Add pictures here
✖
Birch plywood.
General Finishes -- Java gel stain.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidU55
dan wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
<dan> wrote in message

I just finished 2 bookcases for my church each one is 6' tall and the shelves are 46'' wide. I used red oak and butted the edges up and glued them with Gorilla Glue to get my width 12''. Books weigh anywhere from 20 to 25 lbs per foot. So I used 13/16'' thickness. I you want to check the sag properties of many woods check out this site. http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm this is a very useful site. And as far as a dark stain, I recently discovered the use of steel wool and vinegar, this makes a very dark stain especially on oak, do a google search and you'll find loads of info. on this stain. I used it and put 3 coats on red oak and it looks as dark as mahogany.
bill
Add pictures here
✖