Books on furniture styles

Hi folks,
I'm interested in finding some books that can help me understand basic styles of furniture ... with the goal of designing my own prior to building it.
Basically I can tell the difference between Greene and Greene versus Queen Anne, but not much more.
Can anyone recommend a good text?
Thinking of: "Encyclopedia of Furniture" by Joseph Aronson "Designers Guide to Furniture Styles" by Treena Crochet "History of Furniture" by John Morley "Complete Guide to Furniture Styles" by Louise Boger
Thanks in advance (and apologies if this may be slightly off topic)
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:28:33 GMT, Nate Perkins

Nate, I have some reviews here:
http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/reference/books.htm
Greg
Groggy wrote:

Thanks, Greg!
Mon, Dec 27, 2004, 6:28am (EST+5) n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (NatePerkins) claims: Hi folks, I'm interested in finding some books that can help me understand basic styles of furniture <snip>
I'm just guessing here, but you haven't tried a library, have you?
JOAT Diplomacy is the act of saying, "Nice Doggie" till you can find a big rock to bash in his skull. - Unknown
J T wrote:

basic
you? ...
You betcha. My library stocks lots of beginning woodworking books, things like 30 ways to make a dado bookshelf, or Sunset's guide to pine garden benches. I can get specialty books by interlibrary loan, but you have to know which ones to ask for.
Maybe it would help to explain what I'm up to. Lately I'm working on designing some dining room furniture for the house (probably a huntboard, buffet, maybe a china cabinet). I'm looking at designing these from scratch, and since I'm going to look at this stuff for the next 30 years I want to make sure it's done right. What would really help is a book that contains a lot of various photos for different leg styles, different stretcher shapes, various door panel and bead styles, cove styles, finials, etc. That way I can go through the book with SWMBO and have her point out which ones she likes.
Cheers, Nate
Try asking the librarian - I think what you want is going to be found near the arts and architecture books rather than near the do-it-yourself stuff.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:28:33 GMT, Nate Perkins
http://codesmiths.com/shed/books/woodworking.htm#styles
American Furniture of the Eighteenth Century Jeffrey P. Greene <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> Superb historical guide to US 18th century work, and good constructional details for makers (not a project book though).
English and American Furniture (and other titles) Cescinsky OOP for years, but still easy enough to find. Old production values had few photos, but it's a good read and you can find any number of pretty modern books with shiny pictures but no content.
The Shaker Legacy Becksvoort <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> An excellent book by the leading expert on the Shaker's furniture. The book is in two sections; a historical survey of the Shaker movement, and high quality photographs of museum pieces.
In the Arts & Crafts Style Mayer & Gray <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> /> Best "coffee table" overview to the range of Arts & Crafts / Mission styles, from furniture to ceramics. (hard to find)
The Furniture of Gustav Stickley Bavaro & Mossman <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> Excellent Stickley project guide
Oak Furniture Chinnery <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> _The_ classic text on early oak furniture, up to the 17th C (Expensive and hard to find)
Chinese Domestic Furniture in Photographs and Measured Drawings Ecke <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> Don't forget China either. Interesting contrast in styles, very good book
Couple of OOP oldies (common in the UK, not sure about the USA)
Charles Hayward wrote a great many woodworking books, all of which are worth a look. His "English Period Furniture" and "Period Furniture Designs" are good on historical developments. I particularly like "Designs", which is a notebook of drawn pieces - best of all it gives the locations of the original piece, so you can go and study it in person.
The three "Directors" (Chippendale, Hepplewhite, Sheraton) are still around as cheap Dover reprints. Not desperately interesting, but worth it for completeness. There are many ancient classic books (especially on finishing) that are to be had from Dover.
I'd be interested in references for a good book on the later Federal period.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Hi Andy,
Thanks! I will try to grab a copy of several of these, especially the one by Jeffrey Greene. I appreciate your time in posting it and enjoyed looking at your website.
Nate