Books for Boxes and Tool Recomendations

folks --

This is a two headed Question.

The first is -- I am looking to find a good book or books for a beginner on building small boxes and small woodworking projects.

The second - I am looking for what tools would be required to build such projects ( small Boxes ).

the shop is small,, but not my imagination. remedy is in progress

--dan

Reply to
Dan

Doug Stowe has a couple of books, but they may or may not be your style. Visit a bookstore or look at the books in a woodworker supply house such as Woodcraft.

Power tools? Hand tools? Boxes were being made before the discovery of electricity so in a small shop you may want to go with lots of hand tools. Most of us have a tablesaw, bandsaw, sanders, routers, etc but also hand tools such as planes saws, chisels tape measures, rulers, marking devices and more. . Buy what you need when you need them. Five of us can start out to make the same box from the same raw wood, and we may all use different tools to get the job done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

is a good starter IMO.

As far as tools go, really depends on what kinds of boxes you want to make and whether you want to use power or hand tools.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I like "Box by Box" by Jim Stack. Tool recommendations are in the book.

Reply to
Russ

Sun, Sep 9, 2007, 6:27pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dan) doth wonder: I am looking to find a good book I am looking for what tools would be required

Go use a library.

Tools "required"? Ruler. Pencil. Saw. Glue.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

No idea on this one, I've not looked at any books on the subject.

I do a fair number of these. I don't have any particular plans or formulas, I just make them from whatever pieces of wood I have laying around and let that dictate the size and shape. I do these for fun and a means of practicing my hand cut joinery techniques (dovetails, box joints, rabbets, etc.).

When I make small boxes, I am therefore working with small pieces of wood, so I don't like to use power tools much. The exceptions being the bandsaw and sometimes a drill or drill press. For the rest of the work, I like to use hand tools. Here's a list, for some of the tools I use to make small boxes:

o) A workbench[1] with vises, bench dogs, hold fast, etc.

o) Planes o) block plane o) #3 bench plane o) shoulder/rabbet plane o) shooting board

o) Scrapers

o) card scraper o) cabinet scraper

o) Sand paper (various grits going from 60 to about 400)

o) Chisels (a typical set of 5 or so, with beveled edges)

o) Wood mallet

o) Saws

o) Small dovetail/razor saw o) Larger backsaw

o) Small combination square

o) Striking/marking knife

o) Files

o) Dovetail squares or an adjustable bevel gauge

o) Ruler

o) Pencils

o) Sharpening stones for the chisels and plane blades

o) Glue

o) Titebond III o) Epoxy, both the long setting and quick setting types o) Cyanoacrylates

o) Clamps

[1]: If you don't have a workbench all ready, you'll need to either buy or build one of these first.
Reply to
Michael Faurot

If you're looking for a good beginner's book, look no further:

Basics by David Freedman. It is a perfect starting point.

You might also consider this DVD:

boxmaking DVD featuring Doug Stowe. Doug Stowe comes across, on this DVD, as relaxed and assured of what he is doing. No shouting, no teeth gnashing, just a pleasant transferrence of his knowledge to you. I hope Doug makes many more DVDs and gets paid a whole lot of money. His style deserves it.

ROY!

Reply to
ROY!