BookCase Update and HDR Photog

Page 1 of 4
I assembled my bookcase last night and let the glue cure inside because it was so cold. After reading about HDR photog (on the wrec) I decided to try it out. The latest assembled picture is a composite of (seven?) photos at varied EV. I like the results and think this opens up a whole new door to digital photog that can't be achieved with film (I think?).
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Bookcase.php
www.garagewoodworks.com
On 1/14/2010 3:48 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Excellent work, and you're correct ... the photography is stunning. Got to check it out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thank you Swing! It is really cool. I have been playing around with HDR for the last couple of days and it is amazing what you can do. Only caveat is that you must use a tripod (unless you have a wicked fast camera). I have also found that the results get better if I drive the camera (on tripod) from a laptop. This way there is absolutely no camera movement from exposure to exposure.

Photomatix Pro will compensate for movement...up to a point and assuming there are some straight lines it can reference too. But you're right, can't beat a good tripod.

Neat. I need to look into that. I'm using Photoshop CS2 which doesn't compensate for movement (unless I don't know how to do it).

Thank you Swing! It is really cool. I have been playing around with HDR for the last couple of days and it is amazing what you can do. Only caveat is that you must use a tripod (unless you have a wicked fast camera). I have also found that the results get better if I drive the camera (on tripod) from a laptop. This way there is absolutely no camera movement from exposure to exposure.
Sometimes it helps on indoor work to move the lighting around between exposures.
I have been playing around with night landscape shots with an open shutter and painting in the exposure with a million candle power spotlight, I think I'll HDR some of those and see what I get.
basilisk
On 1/14/2010 3:58 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

I've been stuck in the stone age of photography since my old Pentax SLR, that I bought in Hong Kong in the mid 60's, was stolen some years ago, with nothing but cheap digital point and shoots in the interim.
I hate to open another Pandora's box (Festool'ed hell outta the budget last month), and although I've done some beautiful pieces, doing justice to the beauty of the wood for presentation purposes has always been problematic for my limited equipment and skills. Judging from your example, HDR is indeed something to explore in that regard.
It simply never dawned on me to explore HDR in that light (no pun intended) and the planning going into a new web site for the company at present makes it even more intriguing.
Thanks for the inspiration!! ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

A cable release works well, too. In the digital realm they have come electronic triggers. Here is the Photomatix web link. You can download a trial version, same as the paid-for version except for the watermarks.
http://www.hdrsoft.com /
--
Dave in Houston
flickr :: HaveNikon_WillTravel

Only problem is that unless using autobracket, I will need to change the shutter speed.

Thanks.
wrote:>> A cable release works well, too. In the digital realm they have come

Yes, set your camera to aperture priority to prevent depth of field from changing from one exposure to the next. Shooting in RAW is also a requirement for HDR though I do believe that jpgs are required for "exposure blending."
--
Dave in Houston
flickr :: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nuwave_dave /

Actually you want the apature to change during autobracketing when shooting for HDR pictures. You are not really looking for shutter speed changes.

You want DOF to remain the same, so shutter speed it is... unless a CCD suffers from reciprocity problems. If you're shooting in bright conditions with a wide angle, DOF isn't much of an issue, so the aperture option opens up.

You want DOF to remain the same, so shutter speed it is... unless a CCD suffers from reciprocity problems. If you're shooting in bright conditions with a wide angle, DOF isn't much of an issue, so the aperture option opens up.
Thinking about that,,,, I believe you are right.... I stand corrected. I have always read and done autobracketing the pictures to get at least 3 exposures. My oldest cameras that did this automatically did that only in shutter priority mode so the DOF was changed. So I naturally thought that way when taking on HDR. DOH I'll have to try that out...
Actually my current camers does auto bracketing in a small variety of modes including simulated film mode and Dynamic Range mode which changes the simulated film speed..
Oddly AE Autobracketing in Apeture or Shutter priority results in a fixed shutter speed with apeture changes for the 3 exposures. Autobracketind in Program mode however changes the shutter speed and leaves the apeture the same...
Actually I think/know that you can chose either mode shutter or apeture and get the necessary exposures however I can see an advantage of chooseing one over the other especially if you want a sharp crisp picture.
That was one of the pleasures of shooting that good old Kodachrome 25. That stuff was so slow, you almost always shot wide open so outdoor portraits (although not an ideal film for portraits) had the background turn into this fantastic blur of colours off-setting the focused element of the shot as if it was 3D-looking. 64 was a bit more versatile, but either film was full of lies...nice lies, but lies nonetheless.
I started using HDR shots when I needed the shadow detail for texture bump-maps for use in Strata. One shot 'over' would usually all I'd need to add to the texture. Yup, Sony with a floppy.
On 1/15/2010 8:31 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Mavica? Still have one of latter ones with an optical telephoto lens ... in a case in the office closet for the last ten years or so.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

YES! I wracked my brain trying to think of it. Maaaan was that slow and awkward. I never owned it, it belonged to a friend of mine who in turn borrowed it from the police dept. This thing was fixed focal length... 640x480 IIRC. The first digital camera I bought for myself was a Nikon 885. Then to a Sony H2, which I still have, That 12x Optical Zeiss is actually quite good. Then a 10MP Lumix which I bought strictly for its size as I have it in my brief case or pocket.... always. That Leica lens does some things quite well. Amazing little camera for interior shots as it has an equivalent of a 28 mm wide angle. My kid's Canon Rebel is a wonderful camera which gets great results. I am dead serious about getting an M9 Leica at some point. I saw a 20" x 24" print that just knocked me on my ass... that oughtta shut up anybody who still clings to analogue/wet photography. That is one sick little camera.... but a bit pricey. (A guy will always need something to wish for.)

Exactly, the fast short lenses could draw out single area details for that 3D look.
I however also like for everything to be in focus "for certain type shots" for what I refer to as that "Old Timey Painting" look. Basically the opposite effect.

What is your current go-to camera?
Dave in Houston

Fujifilm S100FS, after.,.,. a Canon TX, AE-1, A1, EOS 650, EOS630, and a Fujigilm S602Z
I am not into it as much as I was years ago.