bookcase help

Hi,

I'm building a bookcase for my son in law. The plans show the front and side rails of the base are joined to the legs with a mortise open at the top and a 1/4 " tenon with no shoulder. Can these rails be made from 3/4" plywood or would a tenon cut into plywood be to weak to support a bookcase? Or could this joint be made with biscuits using plywood for the rails or should I jut use standard dimensional lumber.

TIA

George

Reply to
George Snyder

Yes you can cut tenons on ply, you can dovetail it too. I suppose the thing to bear in mind with ply in this situation is aesthetics, what are you going to do with the edges? If you are going to hide them then this can end up taking a lot of time and effort when you can just tenon a piece of solid timber and go on.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

George Snyder wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have succcessfully built these with biscuits & decent plywood. However, I have been known to find a means to hide a screw or three, and to add glue blocks where they didn't show.

My furniture tends to be built for power, rather than speed. ;-) Raising sons tends to encourage that.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch