book recall... a bit OT or not...

Page 2 of 2

Do you mean no ground wire? I know that BX cable was used for the ground connection in the past, but was it really used in the "return" current path of the neutral?

Still is, per 2008 NEC Article 250.118 (8).

Not by any competent electrician. That was *never* approved by Code AFAIK.

Yeah. It was too early in the a.m. or too late in the afternoon for me.

methinks you're confusing a neutral (grounded conductor) with a ground (grounding conductor).
In Miller's setup, both conductors in the BX were used to supply the hot side of the circuit to the light and the outlet, with the armor providing the return path (grounded conductor). This violates pretty much every version of the NEC I've ever seen.
Using the armor as a grounding conductor used to be ok per code, but now only EMT or solid metallic conduit can be used as a grounding conductor, however neither AL flex conduit nor BX may be used as the grounding conductor.
scott

The white wire was used for the switched hot to the lights, and the black wire for the unswitched hot to the outlet.

so flagrantly wrong as to justify a recall that would still work in reality; I provided an example from personal experience of just that: something flagrantly wrong that worked in reality.
Doug Miller wrote: ...

No, I was trying to imagine something that would have been _published_in_the_book_under_question_ that would be so (since the thread was about the recall I presumed that would be the obvious context w/o saying so absolutely specifically. I know, it's usenet... :( )
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 23:35:26 -0500, the infamous "John Grossbohlin"

I have one of the books they're recalling and see absolutely nothing in it which could be construed as bad or dangerous wiring advice. The Sunset _Complete Patios_ book had one pic showing direct-bury low-voltage cable, as it is normally installed, GFCI breakers and receptacles. It also had several paragraphs paraphrasing code requirements for keeping transformers at least a foot off the ground. I have no idea what caused the recall of that particular book.
WTF,O? Freakin' Nanny State.
When I'm King, Darwin will be re-released and the stupid shall get their just rewards. Look at the foolish society that attorneys have created.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!

I've got the Sunset Home Repair Handbook, but as far as I can tell it's not among the recalled ones. The ISBNs don't match. My look through the wiring section doesn't show anything wrong, but I'm not a household or commercial electrician. (I stick to the low voltage stuff.)
Oh well, I'd rather have the $10 than the book. It takes up much less space on the shelf. :-)
Puckdropper
On 10 Jan 2010 03:23:14 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> scrawled the following:

I sure hope you're not serious. That's taking advantage of a company after a stinking speaking weasel got them down in the bent-over position. Bad karma, dude.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!
I recently worked on an old house built in the 50s that had NO ground. Makes one wonder about building codes *back then *. . . .