book recall... a bit OT or not...

Page 1 of 2
Since there are frequently discussions about electrical wiring here maybe it's not OT?
I thought this was kind of amusing... in twisted kind of way. ;~)
http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html
About 951,000 units... wonder how many projects went bad??

Wow! Wonder if the lawyers are lining up?
Don't recall a book recall, ever. Lowes, Sunset, clear back to 1975!
And a full refund! There'll be a run on e-bay, Amazon and used book stores ...

You would think that with that many sales, they would make sure the information is correct and safe. Apparently not.
Look at those numbers, somebody made some money here. Those books go straight to the shelf. I bet not that many are still around.

Also took them 35 years to figure out that they were passing bad info.

And, have to wonder how many injuries, deaths or fire destroyed homes happened in those 35 years due to these book errors?
Is there a time limitation on lawsuits for this kind of error?
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

"Incidents/Injuries: None reported"
Can't even say "It's for the children" because the children have all grown up and have children of their own.
On 1/9/2010 4:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Yeah ... you can't be too careful with "polarity"? :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The convenient thing for the publisher is that the book burned up with the fire. ;)
I'm thinking that it was a couple idiots who didn't know squat about installing a wire who burned down their garage or something. Some smart attorney decided that he'd make his entire living off this one and the result is a bogus recall and nightmare for the publishers.
As I said, I own one of the recalled books and, as far as I can tell, it is not in error.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!
Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Out of curiosity, which version/date of NEC does it reference?
I don't suppose it predate 3-wire circuits being Standard does it?
Undoubtedly it won't have many newer things such as the mandates for GFIs, 4-wire dryer outlets, etc., which would be my guess is the basis.
If that were to be so, seems more than extreme reaction...
Went to CPSC site and followed link to Oxmoor--their FAQ has no information at all on what specifically might be wrong.
There's a follow-up phone number; I'm tempted to call and say I followed their instructions and what specific diagram(s) and instruction(s) are considered so hazardous that they deserve this action so I can find out where I may have erred in following their advice and correct same?
:)
scrawled the following:

The book is from 1998 and doesn't list any version of the NEC. It has literally nothing electrical in it, hence my wondering WTF was wrong to have it recalled.

None of them does.

Yeah, go ahead and do that. I hope they have Internet in STIR!
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!

I doubt it pre-dates three wire as standard, two wire plus ground. A friend and I rewired a small extension to my mother's attic in '62, and, at least in Westchester County, NY, a ground wire was code. Actually, it was illegal for an unlicensed electrician to work in the home, or so we were told, even back then. Because my friend is an electrical engineer, again according to them, they gave us a bye on that one.
Of course, things are different here. When this house was built-- again, 1962--there were NO building codes in Bedford County, Virginia. I once rented an old farmhouse where all new wiring was run around the outside of the house, snugged up under clapboards for protection. It was standard indoor cable stapled in place. The house was half log structure, half rough cut framing lumber, with plaster over wood lath interior walls and clapboard exterior. The logs were white oak, as were the logs used as floor joists on the first floor. I could understand a shortcut or two, as it would be a real mess to open up those walls to run new cable, but I moved not too long after I got really familiar with the wiring layout.

"Caution! The Surgeon General Has Determined That Electricity Can Be A Hazard To Your Health - Do Not Use If Pregnant"
Is missing?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The information in this book is known to the state of California to cause cancer.
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 11:33:04 -0800, the infamous "CW"

"Caution: Do not ingest more than 3 color pages of this book in one sitting or 5 in one calendar day or 21 in one calendar week."
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Wonder what, specifically, was the error?
Possibly simply not consistent w/ current NEC and somebody got their knickers in a wad?
Trying to imagine what would be so flagrantly wrong that could justify such a recall but not be obvious enough it simply wouldn't have worked in reality, anyway.

Here's an example of that, from my first house, discovered when I remodeled the bathroom. Entire house was wired with BX. Medicine cabinet in bathroom had fluorescent lights and an outlet for plugging in an electric razor. Lights controlled by wall switch, outlet hot all the time. Only one 14-2 BX cable entering the medicine cabinet -- it had been wired using the cable armor as the neutral. Worked, but obviously hazardous.
Doug Miller wrote:

What was the neutral of the cable used for?
But did the subject book show/recommend such an installation is the question?

IIRC, BX cable used to not have a neutral. Two wires. Some may have, but I never saw it. A friend once told me that knob and tube wiring was the safest ever, even though it never ran a neutral. I dunno, but I worked with it once and it's an eerie experience in some ways.
The later stuff comes from poor research, using secondary, tertiary and even further back sources as if they were original research. In other words, one guy made the goof in '75, and all the others picked it up from there. You can almost bet on that. Too under-budgeted originally to check the NEC for whatever it was. No complaints for 10-15-20-25-30 years, so it MUST be OK. Only it's not.

et> wrote:

That happens a lot.
Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk." Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties. Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge? Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true. Dr. Melik: Incredible.
- from Woody Allen's movie, Sleeper

Of course it did.

Right, one hot and one neutral.

*All* circuits have a neutral, regardless of wiring method. In North America, anyway. The UK has some sort of unusual setup that I don't pretend to understand.

You appear to be confusing neutral with ground.