Book on Ebay

My Woodworker's Pocket Reference Book has won an award for Best Do It Yourself title of 2005.
For those interested, take a look at my auction for a slight price break: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemF44711919&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Charlie Self wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemF44711919&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Well! I take it there's no freebies for your best buds. Humph.     grumble,     jo4hn
p.s. Congratulations on the award. Very prestigious.
Charlie Self wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemF44711919&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Any specific reason why you won't ship outside the US?
-- _____________Slainte!____________ C D Patterson Langford, BC. Canada

Not speaking for Charlie, but mailing to Canada is a fair-size hassle. mailing to elsewhere in the world is a major pain in the butt. I could easily understand that Charlie might choose not to take on those hassles.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Poppycock, balderdash!
NO hassles shipping ANYTHING from the USA to Canada... I do it all the time. Especially a book.... I buy DVD's and book from Amazon . COM all the time.
But this does remind me of a joke I heard years ago:
Moshe: " Sammy!! I hear you had a fire in your store!!"
Sammy: "Shhhhh that's NEXT week, Moshe...."

It may be that, but it is still TRUE.
A company I worked for did weekly mailings to the paid consulting clientele -- around 80 domestic US, 3 in Canada, and 5 in varied parts of Europe, Central, and South America. Getting the domestic mail out took about _half_ (only!) of the total time spent doing the mailing. For a while, immediately post 9/11, it wasn't so disproportionate -- the 'foreign' mail only took about 20-25% of the total time. But, after a while, when things settled back down again, It was back to the "same old same-old".

You have stuff shipped _TO_ you in Canada, and that qualifies you as an expert on what a U.S. based sender has to go through in sending you that stuff. I don't think so.
Betcha you don't know about the customs declaration that the U.S. sender of 'commercial' mail has to fill out. And that the mail _comes_back_ if the USPS has printed a new form, and you're still using up your stock of old ones. DAMHIKT applies
Betcha you don't know that for over something like 5 ounces, you have to _hand_ it to a U.S.P.S. employee, That means you take it _to_ the Post Office -- you can't just drop it in the convenient mailbox, like a domestic letter.
If you're doing a _lot_ of 'foreign' mailing, the additional overhead is _not_ excessive -- a lot of it is 'fixed', that you can spread over a bunch of pieces handled at the same time.
When you're only doing a few pieces at a time, it's a _whole_ nuther story.

But, that's what it would likely be, a bunch of orders to the same country all done at once. Even with the proviso that 'orders to Canada will be shipped out in lots of 10 or more) or something to that effect would be sufficient to take care of the 'single order' hassle. If it turns out after a few weeks that a bulk order of 10 isn't going to be met, then what has been ordered so far is sent out and 'then' the refusal to handle anymore orders to Canada or wherever.
To start off the selling of a product by saying outright 'no orders to Canada' is tantamount to an insult when there isn't a least an initial effort to satisfy that market. IMHO.

Do you think it might be possible that he has _prior_experience_ with other (at least somewhat similar) products to base a judgement on? That he may have "good reason" to expect a very small number of orders from the great white north, and that for anything approximating that i number of orders it "isn't worth the time and trouble">
Note again, that I did _not_ say that this *is* why he isn't doing it, just that it might be an explanation.
It is also possible that 'somebody else' has "exclusive distribution rights" in Canada -- granted to them by the _publisher_ of the book.
In which case, he _cannot_ sell to people there, without violating the agreement _he_ has with that self-same publisher.
If he'll take 'overseas' orders, but not Canada, this latter is almost assuredly the 'true explanation'.
If he won't take _any_ 'international' orders, then it being a 'hassle' issue becomes more plausible.

Sure, all those things are entirely possible. What I was trying to get across was that "shipping to US only" is not what many would consider an adequate explanation considering the world wide membership list in this group. Especially so, considering that he mentioned the award the book received to everybody in this newsgroup. To all who are not in the US he's said, "Hey, look at the great book I wrote, but you can't get one." That maybe a little harsh considering most know Charlie is a good guy, but it still leaves the door open for comment.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

First of all, I am out of the loop since the mid-eighties when it comes to shipping from and to the USA. Prior to that, however, I shipped lots of stuff (mostly loudspeaker parts from the US to Canada and finished product back to the US.) back and forth. Exported HDF to the US, had veneers laid up and then shipped back to me where I turned the lifts of sheet goods to completed loudspeakers. I had an employee who spent half her time doing duty-drawbacks and such. (Yes.. it did start as a hobby business..) So back then, I pretty much knew what I was doing. My partner in Rochester and I, spent many hours trying to find ways that we would pay duty and taxes on stuff twice, if not three times.
The paperwork was unbefrickinbelievable. Add to that mailing warranty parts back and forth, repairs, shipping damage claims and such that many times I wanted to throw in the towel, which I eventually did.... it just wasn't worth it.
But a book?
I'm bolting on to your hunch, Robert, that it likely *is* a distribution issue

You are correct. 5 Oz??

There's a whole bunch of sh*t in the mail regs _expressly_ regarding books going cross-border. I know 'more about that than I care to', because the stuff i was mailing came under a related classfication. Note: books _are_ dutiable going into canada.

W/o checking, it was in that immediate range. We were mailing about 8 oz, an it was well over the limit.
This was a part of the post 9/11 silliness that hasn't gone away. (well, it did, "sort of", for purely domestic mail that is metered.

The Robert Bonomi entity posted thusly:

Don't think so. Last time I received a book, I paid GST (which is not duty) and $5.00 handling (to Canada Post).
Glad you didn't say that a while ago. I recently mailed a radio to Canada and software to England. Each was as easy as across the US. If I had known then what a hassle it was, I wouldn't have done it.

That wasn't an _antique_ radio, was it? <grin>

I bet it would surprise you to learn that 'personal' goods come under a different set of rules that 'commercial' mail.
I won't speculate as to whether that radio 'should' have had import taxes assessed on it, or, if you declared 'wrongly', whether or not Canadian customs will/would catch it. (I will note that cross-border shipments of 'things of value', with a few exceptions like 'personal gifts', but *not* including 'private sales', _are_ subject to import duty.)
But those _are_ reasons why such an 'apparently hassle-free' transaction by the sender can lead to *major* complications and delays in delivery, _and_ substantial additional costs to the recipient.
On 'personal' mailings to Canada, you -can-, "sometimes", get away with 'not doing it the right/required way' for 'things of value'. On the other hand, it _may_ also get tagged for border inspection, and delayed for a month or more, and with the recipient then having to pay a small fortune in 'ransom' to get it released to him.
I was sending mail for a business, to customers who were paying for that material to arrive in a _timely_ manner. I *had* to 'do it right', or the customers became 'former customers'. Doing the necessary paperwork _in_advance_ so that the mail does not get delayed/"held for inspection" can be a bit of a fine art -- we had to be very careful how we described what we were sending; one 'obvious' description made the mail content dutiable, a somewhat different way of describing the same material made it duty-exempt. With the 'exempt' description, it went 'through the border' overnight.
Canada's rules on such are fairly simple, straightforward, easy to _find_, and easy to *follow*, compared to a lot of the rest of the world. And, if you only ship to those places 'occasionally', the time and effort for a business to run that info down, figure out how it applies to what they're doing, and _apply_ it to that single pieces shipment, *IS* a "pain in the butt", of no small proportions.
"Letter correspondence" is one thing -- there are very few hassles with regard to that kind of mail. But even a 'newsletter', for example, is frequently considered to be 'a horse of a different color', and entirely different rules come into play. Books, are also 'a different color'. :)
Speculation on your part put forth as fact. Just what I would expect from Robert the Great. A softwre company that I have been dealing with for years was constantly getting complaints from customers for just the type of thing you are talking about, until they switched from private carrier to USPS. No more problems.

Amazon has it listed (at reduced price) and they will ship overseas for resonable cost.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemF44711919&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Congratulations! ... you've been conspicuous by your absence lately. Good to 'see' you, and glad to hear that something is going right for you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Well deserved, congratulations. I know how much work goes into a book...even a technical manual.
"Charlie Self" wrote

Congrats Charlie.
Did you get a big trophy and check to go with that award?
<G>
Sun, May 28, 2006, 11:15am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CharlieSelf) doth modestly mmble: My Woodworker's Pocket Reference Book has won an award for Best Do It Yourself title of 2005. <snip>
Attaboy Charlie.
JOAT Never confuse "Oh, I can't do this!" with "Oh, I've never done this!". - JOAT