Book: "Joiner and Cabinet Maker", 1839

I saw the book mentioned in the subject line mentioned on a recent episode of Roy Underhill's Woodright's Shop. Following up on it, I noticed that Christopher Schwarz has written an updated version (including up to date terminology, cut lists, SketchUp drawings, etc.) which is being sold for $34. BTW, it was written as a fiction rather than non-fiction book.

As the book is over 150 years old, I thought I'd be able to locate a copy of the original online somewhere--I didn't have any luck locating it though. Anyone seen it around?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No, Bill, sorry for both of us. I saw the WWS episode online, and immediately started combing. Found some references to books with the same title, but they're how-to manuals.

I think the odds are fairly remote as you'd have to figure the guys involved in putting out a new edition, DVD, and all, wouldn't want to do all of that without making some money out of the deal. It's gotta be really rare.

If you find it, let me know, and I'll do likewise.

RicodJour

The book, yes. A pdf copy needn't be so rare. If I locate a copy, I'll let you know. I surely won't feel like I'm stealing from the publisher--at least not the 2011 one.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
anne watson

RE: the updated version, here's a partial writeup. Note the first 8 words:

"Original copies of the book are extremely rare and Christopher Schwarz (editor of Popular Woodworking and Woodworking Magazine) and I decided to reprint the book with a lot of added detail. We've reprinted "The Joiner and Cabinet Maker," unabridged and unaltered. I have added footnotes on the original text to try to put the book into historical context and explain a little about a joiner's life in 1839. Chris has built the three projects in the book and puts them into a modern context with complete construction drawings and cutting lists. Chris also discusses the hand-tool methods that have arisen since this book was originally published."

Sounds like a great book.

As the book is over 150 years old, I thought I'd be able to locate a

Newp. But it says that the original is intact inside the new version. (see above)

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote: But it says that the original is intact inside the new version.

The original book was about 100 pages, the new one is about 370. They must have made a "Schaum's Outline". I just wanted to peek at the text in the orginal cause I heard the heroine is really hot (just kidding). Seriously though, I'm glad they (appear to) have left the original text unedited.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I ordered Lew's book by Bingham, "Boat Joinery and Cabinetmaking" yesterday, along with a face shield ($14 version):

'm going to hold off on the $350 model with a fan that you suggested for the time being as well as the "deep-sea" model that was proposed.

I'll add "The Joiner and the Cabinet Maker" to my, "watch list".

BTW, if you want to really learn how to slow down your work, then you have to read Krenov's "A Cabinet Maker's Notebook" (just finished that one). It will have you almost talking to the wood (and I'm not exaggerating too much...). : ) BTW, That is not a review. I picked up "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" from the library yesterday. I always have some book going, usually a couple, even if I only read a few pages some days. It doesn't sound like much, but even over a month or two it adds up pretty fast. Temperatures are improving. I'm looking forward to getting back to "work"! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My review (as a book designer): Lots of good information in this book, but it's very difficult to read. The design and typography is poor. But it's a gem, compared to "The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking." Photo reproduction is wildly varied is both -- some are clear and detailed, but there are too many unidentifiiable black blobs.

Reply to
Steve

The main point of the book seems (to me) to really open up ones eyes in an artistic way to the details... and lest you think he might tell you just how to go about doing that--it's exactly the opposite. To paraphrase one sentence in the book: "You've either got it or you don't (the ability)". The book does, however, invite the student to try. If you don't just chew on the cover, it may change the way you look at a piece of wood. Given a chance, it will surely slow you down (while you reflect)! ; ) Krenov had customers willing to pay for quality. Therein lies the rub for those trying to make a living as such a wood worker (today).

The design and typography is poor. But

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote the following:

Would this be the book as listed in the US Library of Congress? The print date says 1883 though.

|ammem|catalog|ppoc|thomasor a short cut:

willshak

willshak wrote in news:e5-dnaX7b-vFrsTQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Reply to
Han

Han wrote the following:

I didn't Google it, I went directly to the LOC site. .

Reply to
willshak

I loved the Krenov books (all at my library) even though I have never gotten -quite- that intimate with it. I'm not ashamed to say that I fondle wood. It's meant to be touched and my favorite finish, Waterlox, is a hand-rubbed finish, so it works out well.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques