Book: "Furniture Treasure", Wallace Nutting, 1928

I checked this out from the library, and have just started it. It's mostly a book of pictures. In fact, it has 3 volumes; I just checked out the first one. I can't see how any woodworker wouldn't enjoy it. It's not difficult to learn more about the book, if one is curious.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Oops, the title is Furniture *Treasury*!

Maybe this book is one of the places the people who write for FWW get some of their ideas. Of course, there are quite a few books--and I only recently started systematically investigating the history of furniture. I don't find looking at art to be hard work.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Please regard this as an invitation to list your favorite "old furniture" book (s), along with your brief review! : ) Stuff from the 1960's doesn't count--but I could get you a deal on some end tables and lamps from that "period" if you are interested.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I agree 100%, Bill! So much so I've decided to provide the group all 3 volumes, FOR FREE! Think of it as an early Christmas present. :o)

Oh yea, it's actually 'Furniture Treasury' (not treasure).

Volumes 1 and 2:

Treasury (Mostly Of American Origin), two volumes in one, unabridged. All Periods of American Furniture with Some Foreign Examples in America Also American Hardware and Household Utensils (Five Thousand Illustrations with Descriptions on the Same Page)

Volume 3:

beautiful book has 548 pages that are filled with

1000 illustrations, including sketches with dimensions, of various period furniture and includes many comparisons of details such as different furniture feet, various clock hands, different types of spindles, etc. It has sections on different types of furniture, collecting, labels, reproductions, beds, finishes, prices, manufacture, woods, and much more. It also has a section on clockmakers, a furniture index, and an appendix for crude homemade furniture.

Enjoy!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

[...]

Thank you Lobby! The physical copies must weigh close to 20 pounds. Hope things are going well for you!

Cheers from IN, Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 04:47:40 +0200, "Lobby Dosser"

I would consider getting it, but this "pdf" link you've supplied appears to require one to download an .exe download manager. Why is a download manger required for a .pdf file?

Under those conditions, I'm not interested.

Reply to
Dave

to require one to download an .exe download manager. Why is a download mang= er required for a .pdf file? Under those conditions, I'm not interested.

Same here. About 2 months ago, a download manager was required to open a s= ewing machine parts list I wanted. That manager "deleted" everything on my= computer.

I looked online for a book I use to check out from the library, about Frenc= h Canadian furniture (1600s -1800s), but can't recall the title. Somehow, = it is no longer at our library. I did find this one, which doesn't require= a download manager for the PDF file. This appears to be a decent referenc= e book of early American furniture. The pics aren't that great, visually. = The PDF took a few minutes to download:

cedarsonny

That's only for the high speed paid download, just click the timer start and wait a few seconds it will download.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Yep.

Reply to
Bill

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:28:28 -0500, basilisk

I waited the requisite 8 or so seconds and the download did NOT start. After that, I did click on the download button and it wanted to download an .exe file.

Sorry, but that's when I say "NO"!

Reply to
Dave

NO!

Reply to
Dave

I clicked a button, it asked me to wait 30 seconds to start, then it downloaded a pdf file to my "downloaded files" temporary folder and opened it with the Adobe reader. I don't recall whether I was using the Internet Explorer browser or SeaMonkey (a relative of Thunderbird) a the time.

Reply to
Bill

I was using the SeaMonkey browser (a relative of Thunderbird). When I tried again using Internet Exlorer it seemed to work a little differently. I didn't pursue it further.

Reply to
Bill

Just has a look at it a second time. Waited the requisite 12 seconds and the download did not start. Clicked on the start download button after that it still wanted to download ilivid.exe.

Maybe it's me, or IE9 that I have or something else. Sorry, but three tries for me is enough.

Reply to
Dave

Did the same for me with Chrome, downloaded an exe ... Like you, I will not/never/ever click on executable code unless I'm 1000% percent certain of its origin, and then maybe not.

I might try it later tonight on the iPad and Safari just to see what happens.

Reply to
Swingman

Actually, I had a closer look. There's a 30 second countdown time on the left side. After that, it produces a .pdf download. Even though I have a high speed connection, that .pdf download appeared to be some eight minutes long. I'll try it again later this evening.

Reply to
Dave

Saw that, but still got an exe, after the countdown, on this Chrome installation.

On Safari/iPad, besides the popups (some women's center??), you can see several different background gradients of various shapes that, if accidentally touched, start a download entirely different than the one for which you visited the site ... apparently purposely designed with traps and pitfalls for the unwary?

Basically, the download on the iPad was continually redirected to something besides the book and never completed ... not worth the effort.

Reply to
Swingman

Huh? My timer was at 30 seconds on both of the files, both PDFs.

Firefox here. No EXE to be found.

-- Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. -- Vernon Sanders Law

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, SeaMonkey (that I am using) is related to Firefox. No exe. I am the careful type too, just like everyone else who is tip-toeing around this.

Reply to
Bill