Book: "Furniture Treasure", Wallace Nutting, 1928

Page 1 of 2
I checked this out from the library, and have just started it. It's mostly a book of pictures. In fact, it has 3 volumes; I just checked out the first one. I can't see how any woodworker wouldn't enjoy it. It's not difficult to learn more about the book, if one is curious.
Bill
On 10/12/2012 12:58 PM, Bill wrote:

Oops, the title is Furniture *Treasury*!
Maybe this book is one of the places the people who write for FWW get some of their ideas. Of course, there are quite a few books--and I only recently started systematically investigating the history of furniture. I don't find looking at art to be hard work.
Bill
Bill wrote:

Please regard this as an invitation to list your favorite "old furniture" book (s), along with your brief review! : ) Stuff from the 1960's doesn't count--but I could get you a deal on some end tables and lamps from that "period" if you are interested.
Cheers, Bill

I agree 100%, Bill! So much so I've decided to provide the group all 3 volumes, FOR FREE! Think of it as an early Christmas present. :o)
Oh yea, it's actually 'Furniture Treasury' (not treasure).
Volumes 1 and 2: http://uploading.com/files/cd5e82b1/NuttingWallaceFurnitureTreasury.V1%262.pdf
Furniture Treasury (Mostly Of American Origin), two volumes in one, unabridged. All Periods of American Furniture with Some Foreign Examples in America Also American Hardware and Household Utensils (Five Thousand Illustrations with Descriptions on the Same Page)
Volume 3: http://uploading.com/files/976db3mf/NuttingWallaceFurnitureTreasury.V3.pdf /
This beautiful book has 548 pages that are filled with 1000 illustrations, including sketches with dimensions, of various period furniture and includes many comparisons of details such as different furniture feet, various clock hands, different types of spindles, etc. It has sections on different types of furniture, collecting, labels, reproductions, beds, finishes, prices, manufacture, woods, and much more. It also has a section on clockmakers, a furniture index, and an appendix for crude homemade furniture.
Enjoy!
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Thank you Lobby! The physical copies must weigh close to 20 pounds. Hope things are going well for you!
Cheers from IN, Bill

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 04:47:40 +0200, "Lobby Dosser"

I would consider getting it, but this "pdf" link you've supplied appears to require one to download an .exe download manager. Why is a download manger required for a .pdf file?
Under those conditions, I'm not interested.
On Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:14:59 AM UTC-5, Upscale wrote:

Same here. About 2 months ago, a download manager was required to open a sewing machine parts list I wanted. That manager "deleted" everything on my computer.
I looked online for a book I use to check out from the library, about French Canadian furniture (1600s -1800s), but can't recall the title. Somehow, it is no longer at our library. I did find this one, which doesn't require a download manager for the PDF file. This appears to be a decent reference book of early American furniture. The pics aren't that great, visually. The PDF took a few minutes to download: http://archive.org/details/furnitureofolden00mors
Sonny
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 07:14:48 -0400, Dave wrote:

That's only for the high speed paid download, just click the timer start and wait a few seconds it will download.
basilisk
basilisk wrote:

Yep.

NO!
Dave wrote:

I clicked a button, it asked me to wait 30 seconds to start, then it downloaded a pdf file to my "downloaded files" temporary folder and opened it with the Adobe reader. I don't recall whether I was using the Internet Explorer browser or SeaMonkey (a relative of Thunderbird) a the time.

Just has a look at it a second time. Waited the requisite 12 seconds and the download did not start. Clicked on the start download button after that it still wanted to download ilivid.exe.
Maybe it's me, or IE9 that I have or something else. Sorry, but three tries for me is enough.
On 10/13/2012 5:42 PM, Dave wrote:

Did the same for me with Chrome, downloaded an exe ... Like you, I will not/never/ever click on executable code unless I'm 1000% percent certain of its origin, and then maybe not.
I might try it later tonight on the iPad and Safari just to see what happens.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Actually, I had a closer look. There's a 30 second countdown time on the left side. After that, it produces a .pdf download. Even though I have a high speed connection, that .pdf download appeared to be some eight minutes long. I'll try it again later this evening.
On 10/13/2012 6:23 PM, Dave wrote:

Saw that, but still got an exe, after the countdown, on this Chrome installation.
On Safari/iPad, besides the popups (some women's center??), you can see several different background gradients of various shapes that, if accidentally touched, start a download entirely different than the one for which you visited the site ... apparently purposely designed with traps and pitfalls for the unwary?
Basically, the download on the iPad was continually redirected to something besides the book and never completed ... not worth the effort.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Huh? My timer was at 30 seconds on both of the files, both PDFs.

Firefox here. No EXE to be found.
-- Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. -- Vernon Sanders Law
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes, SeaMonkey (that I am using) is related to Firefox. No exe. I am the careful type too, just like everyone else who is tip-toeing around this.

You can buy all editions. Amazon has several listing for used and new books.
Sonny

You see some of the prices on those puppies? Paper gold. ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:18:24 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
Yeah! Some are pretty steep. I just bought the set for $32. Vols. 1&2 from Tx and Vol. 3 from Miss.
The book I had mentioned earlier, and found online, is "The Early Furniture French Canada", by Jean Palardy. I had checked out this book from our local library many times, as a reference to/for some of my past projects. It is no longer at our library... (somemone stole it?). I liked this book. I may buy this one, too... haven't decided, yet.
This book is hefty with lots of pictures, also, but not many detail drawings of designs or dimensions, etc. A good eye can figure out many of those aspects. Early furniture in Canada parallels that of here in the states and lots of it is bulk/hefty built. A little tweaking, to reduce bulk, is easy, yet maintain the rustic, old time appearance/style. I like this style, as long as I don't go overboard. Too many pieces can make your home look like a camp, but a few outdoor/patio uses looks nice. *Similarly, that large log bench I showed at PlantFest... someone later called to buy it, for their flower garden/patio area.
I don't recall seeing a sofa table in it, though. Maybe something can be improvised!!
Sonny