Boice Crane 26" scroll saw

Hello Group, Recently I obtained a 26" Boice Crane scroll saw that appears to be in well maintained condition. An internet search shows that BC went out of business in the mid 80's. Included with the saw is manual and (and its envelope, postmarked Dec 82). The manual shows it can be used with a file chuck to quick shape corners, etc., plus it says it can be used for cutting metals.

I have not cut anything with it yet but it runs smooth without a blade and delivers air through the dust blower.

Does anyone have experience with these scroll saws? Anyone still using theirs? Also, do you know of any good parts suppliers if it ever breaks down.

Thanks in advance for your comments. Marc (who is getting re-motivated to resume his woodworking habits)

Reply to
marc rosen

Marc,

I have a Boice Crane 24" scroll saw that I purchased a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I do not have a manual for the scroll saw. I expect mine is from the late 60's to mid 70's vintage. The top is about 18" square. The arm is a square steel tube that has 90 degree corners in the back. IIRC, a Dayton 1/2 hp motor and a dust blower. Does this sound like yours?

Mine generally runs smooth, but I think changing the belt out to a link style belt (or even a newer v style belt) will make it run very smooth. I have only used normal scroll saw blades in it. With the right blade (file or metal cutters) I feel confident the saw would be able to handle what your manual states. This is not the typical scroll saw of today such as the DeWalt or Hegner (sp?), much more on the industrial side. The BC more than meets my scroll saw needs.

Do you know if anyone bought them out or they just went out of business? I would be interested in obtaining a manual for my saw at some point.

David

Reply to
DL

Hello David, I found this link about old woodworking machines

you want a copy on my manual send me an email directly with your mailing address and I'll send you a photocopy when I return from vacation in May.

Marc

DL wrote:

re-motivated

smooth. I