Boice and Crane Tailstock help

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

My lathe tailstock quill will also wiggle a tiny bit until the quill lock is engaged, then it is rock steady. If yours still moves when locked, maybe the lock needs work. Or in desperation you could drill and tap a hole in the side of the quill holder so that a bolt would impinge on the mid-portion of the quill. Make sure the end of the bolt is smooth and do not over-tighten. This should hold the quill against the other side of the cavity and prevent quill play. If this works, weld a handle to the bolt and use it as the quill lock.
Alignment. Mine has two metal blocks on the bottom of the tailstock which slide in the slot of the ways. The blocks are held by two capscrews each. To adjust alignment the cap screws are slightly loosened and the tailstock is tapped with a mallet to correct the mis-alignment. Yours may not have this feature but it is worth checking. When setting alignment you should check with the quill fully retracted and locked, half extended and locked and then fully extended and locked. The tailstock mis alignment may be due to sideways shift or rotational shift. Checking in three quill positions should tell you which it is.
Hope this helps a little.
--
 GW Ross

 The best we can hope for concerning
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 11:37:29 AM UTC-4, G. Ross wrote:

ock

ing

it

tside

You can also use the capscrews to align you tailstock by simply loosening t he side you need to go to and tighten the other side.This is good for movin g in .001's of and inch and smaller if you have the proper indicator.
RP
G. Ross wrote:

A correction: The hole drilled should be about 1 1/2 inches from the headstock end of the quill holder. Otherwise you could not extend and hold the quill more than half extended. But I still think the existing quill lock should be checked first.
--
 GW Ross

 Life is what happens while you're
On 3/24/2013 11:37 AM, G. Ross wrote:

That's very good advice. My drill press has the same to tighten up the quill for the same reason. My old drill press had the same.

--
Jeff

Thanks, those seem like really cool ideas. My brain was not thinking that way.
--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart-email-com
change - to .
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:30:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

I went over to the rebuilders and they said they could take you on. They are busy as hell but they can do it. We are in central New York. Call Harry Hartman 607-eight four nine 6028. Here is the website.
www.galleryofmachines.com
RP

Okay, made contact with them, they can do the job, no problem. However I got a dose of reality. I had in my mind maybe four or five hundred dollars. Closer to $1500. Tough decision to make at that price. Knew it would be expensive but didn't realize this. But I do thank you for the advice and trying to be of help. Did sound like the right people for the job. My thoughts are to try the drill and tap and keep my eyes open. Possibly get a new lathe such as the Woodtek variable speed. Thanks much.
--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart AT
email-com I am sure you can convert that.