Boice and Crane Tailstock help

Page 1 of 2
I have a Boice and Crane lathe 553700 bought new many years ago. Tailstock is worn out and no luck of finding one and from what I hear I am not going to. Now I am wondering if these can be rebuilt? Seems like it should be doable. It has served me well and the rest of it is just fine. I figure it would be cheaper than getting a new one. It's variable speed and has outside turning. And I do use it even though it is more for hobby since I retired(sort of). Any ideas?
What's worn, about the tailstock, the bearings, the spur(s), the clamp mech anism(s) to the bed? If it's bulk metal that is worn, maybe building up th e worn area with welding beads, then grinding/filing to spec, can be done e asy enough.
You may have to find another one and cannibalize the parts you need. A Goo gle search should turn up a few auctions or sales with some listed, like th is one in Raliegh, NC - http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl41QSCI12104007
Every now and then, there's a Boyce Crane lathe listed here - http://irsauc tions.com/?flash=9
And here - http://www.govliquidation.com/ - which may have some of the sam e listings as the GSAauction site above
Just have to wait for one of these auctions/sales to be near you.
Any new tailstock should work fine with any headstock. They are, essential ly, separate units. A new tailstock would need to have a footprint to matc h your present bed's track. Have you tried to find a quality tailstock, wi thout its bed tracking part, yet it can be attached/fitted onto a range of tailstock tracks? I kinna doubt there would be a general/generic unit as t hat, though.
Your local turning club should have lots of magazines that may have guides for searching for those older parts. Find a chapter near you - http://www .woodturner.org/ and ask on this site's forum.
Sonny
On Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:21:25 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

this one in Raliegh, NC - http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?slAQSCI12104007
Sorry. That auction/sale has ended, but that site has similar listings, now and then.
Sonny
Pretty much been checking around for a year now. I am in the Boston area and I am guessing I am down to a machinist or whatever tradesman that could do this. Also checking around this is a problem of this lathe. I got many years out of it. But not the person to do this kind of repair. If there is such a thing as rebuilding this it should get me by the rest of my days. I think it was about 45 years ago I bought it. I would imagine something similar would be in the $3000 to $4000 range easy. Thanks for all the info and ideas.
check out vintagemachinery.org and owwm.org. Especially check the BYOD forum on owwm.
On 3/21/2013 6:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

Thanks, I am familar with them. Have lots of old Walker Turner and I turn to them for info. Really nice for that. I didn't see anything for my problem. But maybe should go back and recheck.
On Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:32:32 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

Can you be more specific? I am/was a Machine Tool Rebuilder in another life and I know people that can help you if I can't. There's more to it if you have serious wear on the bottom of the tailstock.
RP
It no longer lines up with the other side and the shaft is very loose. Not sure how else to explain it. I know everything used to be tight and was right on center.
On Friday, March 22, 2013 5:56:33 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

Bearing or bushings would be my first guess, if the shaft is loose.
May be a silly idea.... has the bed, the tailstock is on, misaligned or loosened, somehow, to make it out of alignment with the headstock? I suppose you've checked and rechecked everywhere, that way.
Sonny
That would be too easy. My 90 year old father is always down the shop messing with things. Everything has to be perfect with him. Which is fine with me as it saves me a lot of time. SOme of my machines he had before me, they run like the day they got here. He wanted me to get a new tailstock but I had to tell him this particular one is very rare as this is a problem with this particular lathe. I don't want to end up with another bad one if I could find one. If I could get it rebuilt and get another 30 years out if it, assuming I will stlil be here even though I am retired I would be very happy.
I don't see how any bearing could be in there. If there are bushings I really can't see that either. It just looks like the tailstock we bored and the shaft is inserted, it does have a notch on one side. I had been looking for a machinist but from the other posting I should be looking for a toolmaker. Back to google.
On Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:05:35 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

If that's the case you just need to have the barrel bored and have a new quill made. Not inexpensive, but cheaper than a whole new tailstock which might not be available. I don't know what happened to my post yesterday. I think Google &^%$ed it up.
RP
I expected it was going to cost.. Big problem is find someone to do the job. I call a few places every week and they don't do this kind of work here in the Boston area. Or I haven't called the right place yet.
--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart-email-com
change - to .
wrote in message
I expected it was going to cost.. Big problem is find someone to do the job. I call a few places every week and they don't do this kind of work here in the Boston area. Or I haven't called the right place yet. =========================================================================Good luck. Most of the real machinists are retired or dead. I'd do it but I am retired. What passes for a machinist these days wouldn't have a clue how to fix something.
Why do I understand that? I grew up around furniture, woodcarvers and the likes.
--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart AT
email-com I am sure you can convert that.
snipped-for-privacy@handyman.com wrote:

What newsreader are you using? It is customary to include at least part of the message you are replying to above your reply so that the context of the reply is understood.
--
 GW Ross

 Whenever they put on the straight
Newsrover. I am just getting back into this. I think the other messages got everything, I checked back on some. I have your message at the bottom of my screen. Will send and check.
--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart AT
email-com I am sure you can convert that.

I see, I thought it did it automatically when I used Outlook, I have to copy and paste with this one. Thanks, I didn't realize that. Sorry about that.
--
Fake email in case you were wondering. So much spam. Real woodart AT
email-com I am sure you can convert that.
Just reread. Not sure about bottom wear but will look tomorrow. I did a lot of faceplate turning. But then it's been in use for many years.