boat interior

I've been contracted to redo a boat interior and since teak is too expensive for this project, is cypress a good choice? mack

Reply to
mack

For the interior you can use pretty much any cabinet wood. It is an esthetic decision. Cherry and ash are both nice.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia

Reply to
Rodney Myrvaagnes

The traditional wood if there is any for cabin cruisers on the interior is ribbon stripe Phillipine mahogany, if you can find any. There used to be a place called Harbor Sales in Baltimore that sold the matching

3/4" plywood.
Reply to
BUB 209

Unless you get old growth cypress, which can also be fairly expensive, it moves around a lot. Unless it is fastened down, I wouldn't use it. Made some doors with it once and a few days later after hanging them, they had warped all kinds of ways.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Swamp Cypress will make nice grates for the shower as well as for the head.

For the rest of the boat, be creative.

Oak, Ash and Maple come to mind.

SFWIW, I'll be using quarter sawn Brown Maple & White Oak.

BTW, I think teak below decks is not only a waste of money, but is very depressing since it produces a very dark interior.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Here's my take on boat interior esthetics.

Boat interiors tend to be dark. A light colored wood will brighten the space up. On the other hand, boat interiors are hard to keep clean, and a light wood will show stains and dirt more.

Yeah, I know, that's not very useful :-)

Reply to
Roy Smith

Where are you located, I can usually get teak to you at less than $6 BF, is that too expensive?

If you want to use odd woods, you should go with something much more stable than cypress.

JJ

mack wrote:

Reply to
Jeremy

OK, thanks for the help...all of you. the boat is an old chriscraft, '79 i think... best buddy's dream boat...abused and neglected, interior "was" of some sort of vinyl covered fiber board... the "Mattie Vic" is taking on a new face and will eventually take a new home...she'll be going to salt water. the funds for the interior are negotiable but limited. i thought cypress would be a good choice. both to lighten the interior with a nice sturdy weathered look and provide a warm natural space for a budget. i'd read that cypress was more impervious to the elements than most other local woods (Texas)..he's a fanatic...and mesquite dulls the blades too much. if i'd known that cypress was goin' to walk around the cabin i'd of brought up bamboo....as in flooring..

Reply to
mack

Where in Texas?

JJ

mack wrote:

Reply to
Jeremy

Since you indicate there are budget constraints, probably ought to look for another boat.

A 25 year old "woodie" power boat is your basic definition of a hole in the water into which you pour money.

Whatever amount you have budgeted, multiply it by 10 or 20 and you will still be short of funds.

HTH

BTW, my suggestion was to use "swamp cypress", AKA "sinkers", not new growth. Big difference.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

the boat is near Temple, Tx now. it's a heavy fiberglass hull that's been completely redone, new motors, new electronics, new everything..it's been in restoration for about

5 years now...it's his baby...this is one of the last things on the list, but he's got another couple of years to work on it...this is a labor of budgeted love...
Reply to
mack

I'm with Lew on this one. With white oak, quartersawn is really important esthetically. The medullary rays make spectacular figure on the quarter, and disappear at fairly small angles off quarter.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia

Reply to
Rodney Myrvaagnes

I have a bunch of 4/4 rough sawn teak for a delivered price of $5 to Temple if you get 50 board feet and can wait until I have a drop in Bastrop.

JJ

mack wrote:

Reply to
Jeremy

I'm with Lew on this - use your imagination - everything in our Hatteras was done in Mahogany. If I ever were to redo it, I'd pick a much lighter colored wood. Seems like most older boats traditionally picked teak and mahogany - it's just too dark and makes you feel closed in. I know teak and mahogany have great properties for the job and are very elegant but it's a boat ! - Give me a light and spacious feeling anytime. I think someone else here was talkng about using white oak also. That might be pretty nice.

Lew - were you going to use any stain on the oak or leave it light ?

jim bailey

Reply to
Jim Bailey

That would be me and quartersawn, it is gorgeous IMHO.

I like my wood like my beer and my women, natural.

I never use stain. If you ever have to make a repair, you have an opportunity I'd just as soon not have.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett