Blue "wash" finish

Greetings,
I posted this on May 31 but it never showed up on my Outhouse Excuse so I don't know if it made it to the newsgroup or not... so here's a repost. Thank goodness for copy and paste. :-)
My SWMBO wants me to build a headboard for our bed and wants a blue "washed" stain finish, something I've not done before. I'm not sure of the technique but I'm probably gonna get online and check into it or get advice from Lowe's or Sherwin Willy's. If anyone here has any tips on here, I'd sure be grateful.
My primary question is, though, what kinda wood to use? Pine? Poplar, Maple? I assume I need a light-colored wood and that it would need to be thoroughly sanded so that the blue doesn't make sander marks show up.
Any clues?
Thanks in advance, you guys are always great.
Will H
Will, not sure if this is exactly what your wife is looking for but check out Minwax site, lists their pastel stains and instructions. http://www.minwax.com/products/woodstain/pastels.cfm
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

I haven't used the pastel, but I fairly regularly use the minwax water based colored red, white, and blue stain.
http://www.minwax.com/products/woodstain/waterbased.cfm
The wife is a history teacher and loves these for little cute decorating nick-nacks, pencil boxes, and poster backers.
I've used them on Lowes "Whitewood", "Hardwood plywood", and BC plywood.
"Whitewood" - the stain looked great by itself. Not much grain, but it blended well. BC Plywood - Grain pretty contrasty. Condition the wood with 1# dewaxed shellac or a wood conditioner first for a smoother blend "Hardwood Plywood" - Looks great on this stuff.
Shellac goes on great as a top-coat. Love the Critter!
The one advantage to these slap-together projects for school: Tax deductible as a "Teacher's expense"
Thanks for your input. I'll probably get some scrap pieces of maple, alder, etc. and see what the test results are.
Will

You (she) might like milk paint.

"washed"
technique
be
Wed, Jun 2, 2004, 5:58pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (wch) speaks thusly: Greetings, I posted this on May 31 but it never showed up on my Outhouse Excuse so I don't know if it made it to the newsgroup or not... so here's a repost. <snip>
Yeah, it made it. If you checked, you'd have seen it. I gave my experience. If you want to know what I said, you can look it up, damn if I'm gonna repeat it.
JOAT If you're offered free wood, take it, period; figure out what to use it for later. - JOAT
Well that's interesting... I've looked under "sent" of May 31, which is the original date I posted it... under "from" of wch, and under the subject. Still not in my outhouse. weird. Oh well.
Will

Thu, Jun 3, 2004, 7:08am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (wch) burbled: Well that's interesting... I've looked under "sent" of May 31, which is the original date I posted it... under "from" of wch, and under the subject. Still not in my outhouse. weird. Oh well.
Appaently looked everywhere. Except on rec.woodworking. Weird. Oh well.
JOAT If you're offered free wood, take it, period; figure out what to use it for later. - JOAT
I'm IN rec.woodworking. It's NOT on my outlook. If you want to come to north idaho and look at my frickin computer so you'll believe me, then you're more than welcome to... although I'm not under any obligation to prove anything to you. Anyway, I'm done with this part of the conversation. If anyone has anything constructive to input regarding the original question I posted, please do.
Will
(wch) burbled: