Blue Marples at Costco

Yup, they have dropped a buch of stuff I used to buy and liked - pickled aspargus, refridged dill pickle spears, the reloads for my HP laser and inkjet printers, water softner salt, creamed and plain pickled herring, ...

I think I miss the pickled herring the most

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Hmm. Must be a local store thing. Mine has all sorts of inkjet cartridge, lots of watersoftner salt. No tootsie rolls, I'm still waiting for them to bring those back

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Saw the pickeled asparagus on the shelf on Wednesday - Portland, OR.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Usually the difference is the ticking or stitching. Maybe a custom tag sewn onto the foot of the thing or something. It happens all the time.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Gene T

In the case of CostCo, their standard markup is 14% (they will tell you that if you ask). This tells you their cost fairly accurately.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

What? No herring in sour cream?

That's almost heresy.

Must not be any Scandinavians in the area.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No, it wasn't like that, at all. And looking at the current draw on the motor lable confirmed this.

In the end I wound up getting the 1hp enclosed stand delta model rather than the 3/4 open stand. Also interesting with the 3/4 vs 1/2 bandsaws, other things were the same, just different motors. Same table and throat depth.

WD wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Probably as good as what advice I can get at the local Rockler.

Reply to
CW

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:27:45 GMT, the inscrutable Lew Hodgett spake:

I'll miss the Sumatran Coffee, my favorite in all the world.

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

INDEED~!!~

I once snatched a Porter Cable 14.4-VOLT drill at Costco for $89 plus tax. It was the very same model number and packaging as the local Pro Seller was featuring for over $250...

All they've ever carried since are DeWalt.

Reply to
News2

Reply to
B. Lerner

To answer some questions here:

I just saw them at a Costco in the Atlanta area. $30, regularly $40 (both less 2 or 3 cents) Says "Sheffield England" right on the back of the blade. I don't remember if it said "Hand Forged", as my 5-year-old set does.

Reply to
alexy

I was at Costco today and there were the Marples. 6 chisels (1/8th to

1") in a bubble pack with a little wooden mallet. The package and each chisel says Made in Sheffeld England and the package states that they are Blue Chip chisels. I guess that doesn't mean the same steel was used as in all other Blue Chips or anything. Price for the set was $29 something. Now I have to make a new Chisel case.

Dave Hall

Reply to
halld

Hell, at that price, and if you hate sharpening as much as I do, you could use them once, then pass 'em out to family members and neighbors as screw drivers, lid openers, and pry bars so they'll leave your good ones alone..

Reply to
Swingman

Hell, these will BE my good ones. Now I can open paint cans with my scary sharp Stanleys.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

|>Hell, at that price, and if you hate sharpening as much as I do, you could |>use them once, then pass 'em out to family members and neighbors as screw |>drivers, lid openers, and pry bars so they'll leave your good ones alone.. | |Hell, these will BE my good ones. Now I can open paint cans with my scary sharp |Stanleys.

Tried Costco in Tucson today. The man (and his computer) says "Discontinued", which translated says, "All gone and no more to follow."

Reply to
Wes Stewart

David Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.news.cs.com:

I had a set of those, but they wouldn't hold an edge. I just bought an old set of nine Stanley 750's about a month ago and got rid of the Blue Chips on eBay. I hate sharpening too, and it seemed like that was all I was doing when using the Marples chisels. The Stanleys are in a different league altogether.

Reply to
Michael Burton

I was in a Woodcraft store in Manchester, CT a month ago, and they had "the chisels formerly known as Marples Blue Chip" renamed as Irwins. I don't know the exact corporate history, but the company that owned the Marples brand got bought out by the Irwin brand owner. I think these chisels are the last of the Marples-branded products, and you'll see Irwin from now on.

Reply to
DavidS9223

England."

Cool.. In that case you probably got a great deal.

Reply to
bf