Blue Marples at Costco

Page 2 of 2

I didn't intend to imply that this was always the case. Merely pointing out that it is sometimes the case. Caveat emptor and all that.
-j
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The different suffixes with HP printers are how they are sold, commercial or home use. The printers are the same and as you pointed out, the difference is the bundled software which is mainly useless and just an introduction to other hp items. It's not included in the commercial package because the commercial buyer wouldn't use any of it anyway. This subject comes up all the time and HP tells exactly what the deal is.
You see a good deal at Costco, you better buy it right then because you might never see it again. Bought a really cool 400W inverter with a digital readout of voltage in and out, and power, and include audio and visual alarms and auto shutdown for low voltage for $25. I bought it the first week they had it and by the third week they were out and have never seen it since.
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:46:13 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Yup, they have dropped a buch of stuff I used to buy and liked - pickled aspargus, refridged dill pickle spears, the reloads for my HP laser and inkjet printers, water softner salt, creamed and plain pickled herring, ...
I think I miss the pickled herring the most <sigh>
-Doug

Doug Winterburn wrote:

Hmm. Must be a local store thing. Mine has all sorts of inkjet cartridge, lots of watersoftner salt. No tootsie rolls, I'm still waiting for them to bring those back
Doug Winterburn writes:

What? No herring in sour cream?
That's almost heresy<G>.
Must not be any Scandinavians in the area.
Lew
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:27:45 GMT, the inscrutable Lew Hodgett

I'll miss the Sumatran Coffee, my favorite in all the world.
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

Saw the pickeled asparagus on the shelf on Wednesday - Portland, OR.
<snip a LOT!>

<snip spome more>
INDEED~!!~
I once snatched a Porter Cable 14.4-VOLT drill at Costco for $89 plus tax. It was the very same model number and packaging as the local Pro Seller was featuring for over $250...
All they've ever carried since are DeWalt.
--
Enjoy life and *do* well by it
-- it might well be the only chance you get :-)
WD wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:22:20 -0500, Eddie Munster
bandsaw at the borg, I thought it was a 3/4 hp. It

When SWMBO and I were mattress shopping, it happened the CR had run an article on mattresses, pretty much stating that mattress companies routinely supply a "special" mattress to each of their retailers.
Their point being that essentially similar mattresses would be be sold under different names and model numbers at different retailers, making price comparison difficult.

-------- That's a well known tactic in the mattress business. I was successful at countering this by idenifying the exact matress I wanted at the manufacturer's site, then going to a few stores. When they blew that stink my way, I threatened to walk out unless they did an apples to apples price match for me, regardless of what customized name was put on the mattress. The dealers were reluctant, but I was insistent, and they knew I had their number. Ended up saving about 150.
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:54:58 GMT, Charles Krug

Often the only difference is a "custom" model number.
Barry
Ba r r y wrote:

Usually the difference is the ticking or stitching. Maybe a custom tag sewn onto the foot of the thing or something. It happens all the time.
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:22:20 -0500, Eddie Munster
Like peak hp, max hp or ultra hp? Can you believe my Shop Vac is 6 Peak HP and seven times more powerful than your BS. :-)

No, it wasn't like that, at all. And looking at the current draw on the motor lable confirmed this.
In the end I wound up getting the 1hp enclosed stand delta model rather than the 3/4 open stand. Also interesting with the 3/4 vs 1/2 bandsaws, other things were the same, just different motors. Same table and throat depth.
WD wrote:

Jerry wrote:

That could be true if they are different models. I didn't notice what the box said as I wasn't interested (in Boise). But if it says Blue Marples or however they designate them and it says the same as Woodcraft, then they are the same.
I've heard the BS about a brand name model being a more cheaply made machine in lower priced stores. Not true, never been true, mindlessly stupid blather. No manufacture puts their name on a model and makes a good or excellent one and a poor copy. That's a quick way to degrade the manufactures name and lose sales. If an item is truly cheaper (quality), more economical version it will have a different model designation not the same name as a model built to a higher standard.

In the case of CostCo, their standard markup is 14% (they will tell you that if you ask). This tells you their cost fairly accurately.
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
The price may be cheaper at Costco but can you get woodworking advice there? Gene

Probably as good as what advice I can get at the local Rockler.

As

To answer some questions here:
I just saw them at a Costco in the Atlanta area. $30, regularly $40 (both less 2 or 3 cents<g>) Says "Sheffield England" right on the back of the blade. I don't remember if it said "Hand Forged", as my 5-year-old set does.