Blue Marples at Costco

Page 1 of 2
While wandering through Costco I found a set of 6 Blue Marples with a wooden mallet for $30. This seems to be a great price compared to Woodcraft. As far as I can tell they are identical to those I bought at Woodcraft.
Which Costco please?
toolguy wrote:

I know the Phoenix, AZ store on west Yorkshire has them (North Phoenix). I haven't looked at them to see where they are manufactured though.
Gary
FWIW, I just bought the set; it's labeled "Made in Sheffield, England."
GeeDubb wrote:

B. Lerner wrote:

England."
Cool.. In that case you probably got a great deal.
Be careful. The mass merchants negotiate a price with manufacturers and in many cases, the manufacturers will make a low cost version to sell through the mass merchandizers to meet their pricing requirements.
Meaning -- it may not be an apples to apples comparison.
Greg Ostrom wrote:

wooden
Woodcraft. As

Really, how do you know?

----------- I know this to be true in the case of Price Pfister faucets. Go to a big box store and open a faucet. You'll see a plastic waste tube, plastic ball cock, and cheap stick-on PF label. Look at the same faucet at a real plumbing store and everything is solid brass, and the cheap decal is actually a very nice enameled badge.

HD will happily special order that piece for a bit more than the plumbing shop. But yes, they stock cheap.
Note that they sell the bronze replacement cartridge for about 3/4 the cost of the faucet.
Toyota (iirc) has a fuel filter that nearly always needs replacement just off warrenty, then is good for the life of the engine. The OE part is plastic, the replacement is stainless steel and costs $400.
My mechanic (I don't own a Toyota) is convinced they used the plastic part so they could match the price point of similar competing models, and planned to make up the difference on the aftermarket part.
Charles Krug wrote:

Moen does much the same but the box is marked "metal" or "plastic." Confused me a bit since the faucet in the boxes were identical, then I saw that one had a plastic drain and one had a chrome coated brass drain. In Moen's case the metal drain separately cost about 1/2 the price of the faucet, but the faucet with the metal marked only 120 percent of the plastic one. However, these are two different models clearly marked and with different model numbers and not what the op is saying. BTW, real plumbing shops carry both models, but I'm sure if you ask a plumber to replace a faucet they will choose the more expensive model.
$400 for a fuel filter is an obviously rip off. Hell they could have changed it 40 time with a $10 filter. I wager that the $400 filter is not 40 times better than the $10 filter.
Ever been to an outlet store? This is common knowledge.
-j

It is fairly common with some clothing lines. Not all hardware is like that. It is also common knowledge that most of it is BS rumors. A local hardware store told me the same about a particular brand of tools. I asked how she knew. She replied, "the salesman told me". Give me specific part differences and I may believe you. I know that sometimes a model number will have a different suffix. That could be suspect. HP makes printers with different numbers and suffixes. The big store like Staples will have bundled software that others do not have. I asked an HP engineer when I was at a packing plant about the differences. He told me aside from the bundled software, the main difference was the screened on part number. Electronics were the same.
Costco and others, pride themselves on giving you the best merchandise at a good price, not a cheap version.
But this may not be the case for chisels. It's a lot easier to slap a blue handle on an inferior chineese chisel than it is for HP to come out with a cheaper printer that still works but looks like the expensive one.
I don't know if they are the same. But if I was the original poster, I'd check to see if the marples for sale were made in England. Chances are, a cheapened version is made in Aisa.
bf wrote:

I bought these same chisels 2 years ago. At that time they were made in England. Decent chisels for a decent price. Not in the same league as two cherries, but for the price they are fine. Oh yeah they do need honing just like most other chisels.
I was at Costco today and there were the Marples. 6 chisels (1/8th to 1") in a bubble pack with a little wooden mallet. The package and each chisel says Made in Sheffeld England and the package states that they are Blue Chip chisels. I guess that doesn't mean the same steel was used as in all other Blue Chips or anything. Price for the set was $29 something. Now I have to make a new Chisel case.
Dave Hall

Hell, at that price, and if you hate sharpening as much as I do, you could use them once, then pass 'em out to family members and neighbors as screw drivers, lid openers, and pry bars so they'll leave your good ones alone..
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Hell, these will BE my good ones. Now I can open paint cans with my scary sharp Stanleys.
Dave Hall
On 24 Jan 2005 04:19:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) wrote:
|>> I was at Costco today and there were the Marples. 6 chisels (1/8th to |>> 1") in a bubble pack with a little wooden mallet. The package and each |>> chisel says Made in Sheffeld England and the package states that they |>> are Blue Chip chisels. I guess that doesn't mean the same steel was |>> used as in all other Blue Chips or anything. Price for the set was $29 |>> something. Now I have to make a new Chisel case. |> |>Hell, at that price, and if you hate sharpening as much as I do, you could |>use them once, then pass 'em out to family members and neighbors as screw |>drivers, lid openers, and pry bars so they'll leave your good ones alone.. | |Hell, these will BE my good ones. Now I can open paint cans with my scary sharp |Stanleys.
Tried Costco in Tucson today. The man (and his computer) says "Discontinued", which translated says, "All gone and no more to follow."
David Hall wrote in wrote in message

I had a set of those, but they wouldn't hold an edge. I just bought an old set of nine Stanley 750's about a month ago and got rid of the Blue Chips on eBay. I hate sharpening too, and it seemed like that was all I was doing when using the Marples chisels. The Stanleys are in a different league altogether.
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

I was in a Woodcraft store in Manchester, CT a month ago, and they had "the chisels formerly known as Marples Blue Chip" renamed as Irwins. I don't know the exact corporate history, but the company that owned the Marples brand got bought out by the Irwin brand owner. I think these chisels are the last of the Marples-branded products, and you'll see Irwin from now on.