Bloxygen

Anyone know whats in that can of gas that Woodcraft sells (as Bloxygen) to stop the hardening of partially used cans of finish?

BlOxygen is a mixture of nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide.

Thankee Sir. Inert gasses. I thought so.

Carbon dioxide is not inert. Anyway, I found that if I put a teaspoon of solvent on top of the can before sealing it back helps. Before the lid is replaced, clean the threads to create a good seal. For paint-type tops, I use a rawhide mallet and inspect the rim to ensure it is seated properly. When there is a little finish left in the can, it makes sense to transfer it to a smaller container or just toss it.

I wonder how well carbon dioxide would work on its own? There the easy home version they taught us in Cub Scouts: vinegar and baking soda. Since it's heavier than air, and oxygen-displacing, you can place a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a measuring cup, tilt it over the desired container, and add enough vinegar to soak the baking soda without running over. The gas vapor is visible, and will sink right into the target container.
I don't know how effective it is, though. I haven't had reason to try it.
Kevin

I think _dry_ matters, too. you'd add a bunch of moisture. Haven't seen the propane advocates in this thread yet, perhaps they've joined the PVC for dust pipe gang....
Yep, I have a BIG tank of welding ARGON in the shop, and use that instead of paying for BLOxygen in those tiny cans
Works get just as it is, and appears to work just as well as Bloxygen
Key is to dispense slowly, and to use an extension that lets you put the argon entry AT the surface of the paint/etc. Since argon is heavier than air, it will displace the air as you introdce it
John

Hi LP, Around here you can buy it in wine /booze stores. Used to preserve part bottles of wine. I have used it for stain but not for wine. Cheers, JG
LP wrote:

L.P. ...
In fact, Steve Zawalick of Ironwood Designs -- the guy who runs (or at least did at one time run) the company that makes and distributes Bloxygen to retail outlets -- adapted the product directly from that used to protect wine.
A.J.

What is the cost from a wine store?
About the same, around $9-$10 depending on the store, since it's the same stuff in the same can. Different packaging and label is all. A.J.

Although the same stuff sometimes products are much cheaper if sold for another purpose. Apparently not in this case..

it would skin over and get slower at drying and I seldom could use a full can. well with the bloxygen I got every speck out of this last can. well worth the investment.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Yeah I have had a can for a while.