Blowing sawdust around

A DRUMMER ... has to ask this question?? ;-)

Just picked up a used JDS 10-16 air filtration unit, today. With a bit of luck, I'll have nothing to say on the matter :-)

Reply to
Neil Brooks

"Artemus" wrote in news:hl76ug$50i$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

What about bed sores?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Just before it breaks into open flames.

Since we were moving in to a new house the garage was full of cardboard boxes. The sanding dust was in a plastic bag in a plastic garbage can that was sitting next to the cardboard boxes.

When the garage filled up with smoke and it started leaking into the house we realized that something was wrong. Fortunately I was able to get the garage open and the can into the drive. At that point it was simple to fill the can with water.

It took some time to get the smell of smoke out of the garage, and the plastic can had to be replaced as a big section was melted from the heat.

It was one of those comedy of errors things. No one did anything wrong, just the sum of the actions of several people created the quite volatile situation.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Out of curiosity, had the dust come from newly finished wood or was it just the wood itself that heated?

Reply to
Nonny

Well, this has absolutely nothing to do with the flammability of dust in suspension in the air. This is about sanding an oil-finished floor that has not fully cured and the heating that comes from the curing process - or - about slightly wet sawdust being packed into a closed container - or - about a spark from some other source getting included in the sweeping up - I've seen sparks from tools and cigarettes both end up starting fires that way (good thing to watch out for on your dust collector as well. A cig sucked into the collection bag can ruin your whole day).

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Yeah

Reply to
Leon

I guess you never saw a close up of those damned dust mites that live in your bed:

'might' be able to blow them out with a good compressor. 'Might' be best to just go kill ourselves and be done with it...

Reply to
Jack Stein

Well, Bill, their basic policy is "whatever we find out from you, we own, like it or not, and we can use it any way we like".

And it really creeps me out the way their tentacles spread out through the internet. I'll be browsing on some site, Amazon far from my mind and no evidence whatsoever that the site I'm on is affiliated with Amazon, and before you know it Amazon will be giving me buying suggestions based on products that I browsed on that apparently-unrelated site.

Give me the willies.

I used to buy tools from an online outfit called Toolcrib or something like that. Amazon bought them outright and integrated them into their site back when they were aggressively expanding into other lines of business besides books. I bought a couple of things in the tool line from them, but I soured on them pretty quickly when I started reading about their privacy policies. But sometimes when you're doing a search on something the Amazon link is the best-looking one, and like I say, when I go there it really creeps me out to find them popping up with their damned buying suggestions.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Dacon

I think I fear Amazon much less in this regard than I do Google. At least Amazon is showing me stuff I'm often interested in, books for instance. They occasionally show me something that I'm interested in buying (or moving to my "wish list" to think about buying). I moved a Grizzly G0690 TS there today to watch and see if it might ever go on sale. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I've taken to using Bing.com and Ask.com as my search engines. Although I do like the fact that Google has finally decided that maybe the idea of censoring Chinese traffic and providing the Chi-coms with dissident information kind of violates that "don't be evil" thing they promote.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

This is true of every business including the mom and pop grocery store down on the corner. If you don't want other people to know things about you then you're screwed. It's the 21st century and simply by existing you're in a bunch of databases. And not even offing yourself will get you out of them.

Can you give an example of this occurring and show us the evidence that Amazon obtained information from this "apparently-unrelated site"?

That's news to Toolcrib.

Why does it "creep you out" that they're making suggestions based on what you've purchased or browsed on their site? If it really upsets you that much there is a very simple thing that you can do about it. When you are done placing an order with Amazon then LOG OUT OF THEIR SITE.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I did that with a Unisaw. It's no longer on my wish list. ;-) $1600, delivered, was just too much (little?) to resist and the reason I didn't buy a G0690.

I don't trust Google at all.

Reply to
keithw86

Manage your cookies.

Reply to
dadiOH

--------------------- Like dump them daily.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I did that with a Unisaw. It's no longer on my wish list. ;-) $1600, delivered, was just too much (little?) to resist and the reason I didn't buy a G0690.

Did you get a Delta 3HP cabinet saw for that? The only ones I located started at twice that. Congratulations on your new saw! --Bill

Reply to
Bill

The new Unisaws are going for twice what I paid now. This is a 3HP LT X5, two extension wings, and 50" Biesemeyer fence (36-L31?). I got it a year ago just before the new Unisaw came out. The going price for an X5 then was about $2100, or so. I was about to buy the Grizzley G0690 until the deal on the X5 came around. Sure, I'd like to have the new Unisaw, but not for twice the money. I like the SawStop too, but...

Reply to
keithw86

Right...easy with a browser that will dump them when closed; e.g., Opera and Firefox.

Reply to
dadiOH

The new Unisaws are going for twice what I paid now. This is a 3HP LT X5, two extension wings, and 50" Biesemeyer fence (36-L31?). I got it a year ago just before the new Unisaw came out. The going price for an X5 then was about $2100, or so. I was about to buy the Grizzley G0690 until the deal on the X5 came around.

Great saw and a nice deal! Again, congratulations. I'll keep my eyes open!

Bill

Reply to
Bill