Blowing sawdust around

Page 2 of 2

I have a compressor in the shop but try to avoid blowing dust out or off of anything inside the shop.. I have a reducer on my DC that brings it down to 2" with a "needle head" on it.. If that won't suck the dust out of motors, pulleys, etc., than the compressor probably wouldn't either..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

For years and years, this is how I'd do the occasional clean-up in my shop: First, I'd be sure that the doors to the house were closed. While not dust proof, the doors were fairly tightly fitted and offered little air flow when closed. Secondly, I'd turn on the DC, open all blast gates and especially the diverter to the outside, which bypassed the chip separator and bags. This created a slight negative pressure in the shop, preventing dust from entering the balance of the lower level and the drop in ceiling tile.
Starting on the highest shelves and working downward, I would use my air compressor to blow dust and chips off- hopefully to the shop floor. I'd open doors to the cabinets and drawers to do the same thing, holding the nozzle back to prevent blowing items off the shelves or out of bins in the drawers. It took little practice but worked swell. My blowing would include the tools, such as the cabinet base of the TS, letting the airflow from the DC suck out most of the accumulated debris and dust.
While waiting for the dust to clear before doing it again, I'd use a hand scraper to pop glue spots off my workbench and straighten out my tool boxes.
This blowing out would be repeated 2-3 times, leaving the dust, chips and debris to settle onto the shop floor. I'd wait until the air cleared before redoing the cleaning.
The final step was to close off all but one blast gate from the DC, divert the airflow to the chip separator/bags and then use my floor tool to vacuum the shop floor. Occasionally, I'd have to give things another blowing, but the once-over was usually good enough. The total time involved would usually be under an hour and the shop would be "company clean," for most purposes.
--
Nonny

First, I try to get the dust at its source with strategic placement of DC hoses and attachments. That will help a LOT. But, to get everything really clear of sawdust I use a blowgun and the shop air compressor (I have one compressor).
For a computer I use a can of compressed air (it is much cleaner than air from a compressor) to clear out the dust, maybe twice a year. I've seen folks use a shop compressor to blow out a computer, but probably not a wise thing to do.

One of the reasons I was thinking of the "fan/vaccum" is because I can't use the cans of compressed air indoors (on my computer), due to some chemicals in the can.
What kinds of compressors are folks using in their woodworking shops? 3-6-gallon to fire brads, bigger for spraying finishes (this task is not on my radar screen for the time being)? Any sort of details would be helpful. CPOWoodworking offered a compressor, with a nail gun, for half price ($99) a few days ago, and I thought maybe I should have one of these things. I've got a lot of molding I'd like to replace sometime in the next few years (is this the ideal way to install that?).
Bill

I've had this one for about two and a half years.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_12605_Tools_Air%20Compressors%20%26%20Air%20Tools?adCell=WF
Cast iron, oil lube, 100% duty rating relatively quiet compared to oilless compressors and is luggable. I have it daisy-chained into a portable air tank. I mainly use it for nail guns, but the portable tank gives a bit more capacity when I need to blow out something. Perfectly fine keeping up with any brad or finish nail gun I own. Also good for airing up tires and other low volume demand applications. Currently on sale for $100 with free shipping.
I'm normally pretty leery of Sears powered items, but this compressor has had zero problems. I'm a hobbyist, so don't put nearly the use on it someone in the trade would, but for the money, I think it is a pretty good buy.
Regards, Roy

(Amazon.com product link shortened)nter-2&pf_rd_rVN2MB3MHFSK2ARCSFQ&pf_rd_t1&pf_rd_pG0938631&pf_rd_iP7846
I'm pretty tempted to get one of these (saw it in a mail-order catalog, not on Amazon) to blow the dust and lint out of the inside of my PC's. I try to keep a can of compressed air around for the purpose but I keep forgetting to replace them when they run out of air. Could be useful in the shop too, if for no other reason than to blow off the last traces of sanding dust before putting on a coat of finish (I don't own a compressor).
But if I get one I won't buy it from Amazon - I don't like their privacy policy.
Tom Dacon

Well, since you brought it up, what don't you like about their privacy policy? I am not familiar with it, but I have been satisfied with their prices and service. I'm learning to be wary of 3rd party sellers.
Bill

Well, Bill, their basic policy is "whatever we find out from you, we own, like it or not, and we can use it any way we like".
And it really creeps me out the way their tentacles spread out through the internet. I'll be browsing on some site, Amazon far from my mind and no evidence whatsoever that the site I'm on is affiliated with Amazon, and before you know it Amazon will be giving me buying suggestions based on products that I browsed on that apparently-unrelated site.
Give me the willies.
I used to buy tools from an online outfit called Toolcrib or something like that. Amazon bought them outright and integrated them into their site back when they were aggressively expanding into other lines of business besides books. I bought a couple of things in the tool line from them, but I soured on them pretty quickly when I started reading about their privacy policies. But sometimes when you're doing a search on something the Amazon link is the best-looking one, and like I say, when I go there it really creeps me out to find them popping up with their damned buying suggestions.
Tom

I think I fear Amazon much less in this regard than I do Google. At least Amazon is showing me stuff I'm often interested in, books for instance. They occasionally show me something that I'm interested in buying (or moving to my "wish list" to think about buying). I moved a Grizzly G0690 TS there today to watch and see if it might ever go on sale. : )
Bill

Bill wrote:

I've taken to using Bing.com and Ask.com as my search engines. Although I do like the fact that Google has finally decided that maybe the idea of censoring Chinese traffic and providing the Chi-coms with dissident information kind of violates that "don't be evil" thing they promote.

Rob Leatham

<snip trailing stuff>
I did that with a Unisaw. It's no longer on my wish list. ;-) $1600, delivered, was just too much (little?) to resist and the reason I didn't buy a G0690.
I don't trust Google at all.
<snip trailing stuff>
I did that with a Unisaw. It's no longer on my wish list. ;-) $1600, delivered, was just too much (little?) to resist and the reason I didn't buy a G0690.
Did you get a Delta 3HP cabinet saw for that? The only ones I located started at twice that. Congratulations on your new saw! --Bill

The new Unisaws are going for twice what I paid now. This is a 3HP LT X5, two extension wings, and 50" Biesemeyer fence (36-L31?). I got it a year ago just before the new Unisaw came out. The going price for an X5 then was about $2100, or so. I was about to buy the Grizzley G0690 until the deal on the X5 came around. Sure, I'd like to have the new Unisaw, but not for twice the money. I like the SawStop too, but...

The new Unisaws are going for twice what I paid now. This is a 3HP LT X5, two extension wings, and 50" Biesemeyer fence (36-L31?). I got it a year ago just before the new Unisaw came out. The going price for an X5 then was about $2100, or so. I was about to buy the Grizzley G0690 until the deal on the X5 came around.
Great saw and a nice deal! Again, congratulations. I'll keep my eyes open!
Bill
Tom Dacon wrote:

This is true of every business including the mom and pop grocery store down on the corner. If you don't want other people to know things about you then you're screwed. It's the 21st century and simply by existing you're in a bunch of databases. And not even offing yourself will get you out of them.

Can you give an example of this occurring and show us the evidence that Amazon obtained information from this "apparently-unrelated site"?

That's news to Toolcrib.

Why does it "creep you out" that they're making suggestions based on what you've purchased or browsed on their site? If it really upsets you that much there is a very simple thing that you can do about it. When you are done placing an order with Amazon then LOG OUT OF THEIR SITE.
Tom Dacon wrote:

Manage your cookies.
--

dadiOH
"dadiOH" wrote:

--------------------- Like dump them daily.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Right...easy with a browser that will dump them when closed; e.g., Opera and Firefox.
--

dadiOH