BLOCKING OF REC.WOODWORKING

Page 1 of 2
TO THE COMMUNITY OF REC.WOODWORKING:
DUE TO AN OVERWHELMING VOLUME OF COMPLAINTS, WE HAVE GONE AHEAD AND BLOCKED REC.WOODWORKING FROM OUR LIST OF AVAILABLE POSTING NEWSGROUPS. THIS WILL BE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. THIS SERVICE WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY RESTORED IN 90 DAYS ON A CONDITIONAL BASIS. WE APOLOGISE IF THIS PROVES TO BE AN INCONVENIENCE TO ANYONE.
Dizum Internet Services: Your Internet Problem Provider https://ssl.dizum.com
if true, it's PARTY TIME!!
dave
https://ssl.dizum.com wrote:

Dave,
Where did you get this post? That's a real address and the "Problem Provider" is on their site but like you, I doubt if it's really from them. I can't locate the original post that you responded to.
Bob S.

It got caught by my filters, but I saw it when I turned them off to harvest the messages from dizum.
Here's the full post with headers:
------ Path: sn-us!sn-xit-05!sn-xit-08!supernews.com!news.maxwell.syr.edu!news.glorb. com!news.bananasplit.info!news.dizum.com!sewer-output!mail2news
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:52:21 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: BLOCKING OF REC.WOODWORKING
------
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

LOL The SOB would be you then....Xref is a reference on your news server. I am not sure where you got the first header (not quoted by me) from and why it has a sn-us server reference.
Alas, tracking someone through a remailer/newsgateway is not nearly so easy. Dizum.com could trace it to an IP anyway, *if* they do not auto-destroy records. I would expect them to only give it up on a warrant if they are running a good shop (anonymous remailer). If they are sensible, they hold the records only for a short time before destruction. I know of corporations who destroy email backups very quickly to duck warrants.
Paul,
Are you saying that the last line from the trolls header is added by RoadRunner when I access the rec to read the posts? If so, then the last line would be different for everyone that reads the posts from a different ISP - is that correct?
What shows up on the last line from one of the trolls post when you read the header info?
Bob S.
Bob, my head is spinning from all this talk about headers, ISP's and other net stuff. No wonder I got burned out working on, and with, pc's over the past 18 years... Are trolls gonna take full control of the internet one day soon? sigh... why can't we just hunt them down and remove their hands and feet so they can't use a keyboard? and rip out their vocal cords in case they try using speech recognition software to harass us? I bet those idiots are so determined, they'd figure a way onto the net even with those limitations. After reflecting on my idea, I think euthanasia would be the more humane (and effective) solution!
dave
Bob wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote in rec.woodworking

Kill the bastards, kill em all.
--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

It varies by host...
On my shaw.ca account, the last line of the initial post in this thread is:
djb
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

Bob wrote:

Paul is correct. From my RoadRunner account in SoCal, the original post from Dizum is: Xref: cyclone.socal.rr.com rec.woodworking:808588
It identifies the post on your own ISP's news server, not the server of the sender.

Sheesh, I answered this hours ago but the server ate my homework apparently. Anyway, some other people have spoke up with their headers. A sample Xref from idiot boy:

I am on rogers high-speed; this set is for the servers in Ontario, eastern ontario being my guess (bloor being a hint here).
A properly set-up anonymizer will make sure none of the *posters* data leaks through in the headers. Naturally the poster may be dumb enough to identify himself in other ways. Or simply be on a very short list of possible people.
Dizum could almost certainly identify the IP address of the twit (and hence, through ISP records, the douche bag could be id'd) but if they have any ethics (from an anonymous service provider point of view) they would not do so without a warrant. Dizum probably destroys their records quite promptly. Hell, I know corporations which destroy their backups quickly to duck warrants. Since the law moves very slowly, they are usually gone before anything gets really on the move.
Anyway, here is not the place for a lesson on running anonymizers, just be assured that a good one does not leak header info and Dizum seems well run (from that point of view).
Paul K
on my news server. as you can see, I quoted it. I can't easily copy header info into a text file. someone with a different program can, however.
dave
Bob wrote:

im sure this is bogus, but thats funny. internet problem provider <g>
randy
that's what I was thinking too...
dave
xrongor wrote:

Actually...it really does state that....

Yeah, right...
--
Formosa's Law: "The truly insane have enough on their plates without us adding
to it."
https://ssl.dizum.com wrote:

Mark wrote:>Would they put a post in all caps??? Also, is Dizum from across the

Wondered about the spelling of "apologize", myself... Right now, it's hard to believe anything that originates from a dizum.com address. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

It's completely bogus. Look at the headers on the post: it did NOT come FROM dizum, it came THROUGH dizum, specifically through their mail-to-news gateway just like all the other recent troll posts.
Conclusion: it's the troll again.
DON'T do as one poster suggested, and try a couple of posts to see if they'll get through. They will. And that will add to the level of useless posts here. Which is probably *exactly* what the troll intended.

Many libraries and similar public points keep usage logs and require ID to use the 'net. Most universities have moved to individual logins. It's harder to trace than your own machine, but still very traceable.
Barry