BLO and Thinner

I mixed some blo and thinner in a glass fruit jar. Is it safe to put a tight lid on this and keep it in a cool dark place or will it build up pressure and blow up? I think it should be fine but SWMBO isn't so sure.

Thanks Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Sounds fine to me.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, no problem. There isn't anything in there that would react to form a gas and increase pressure significantly inside the jar. The only time I can think of that finishes could "blow up" under normal conditions (without extreme heat, sparks, etc.) is via spontaneous combustion. This occurs when the finish polymerizes or catalyzes, and the polymerization builds up heat, and when there's enough heat, some fuel, and some air, spontaneous combustion can occur. The main way I've heard of this happening is when a finish-soaked rag is wadded up and left for a while, especially in a warm area - the rag provides lots of surface area and possibly some insulation, so the finish can polymerize quickly and build up heat. As long as the rag is spread out, the heat can dissipate and it shouldn't be a problem, or I know that some people submerge used rags in cans of water. There isn't enough surface area for this to happen in the jar/can - if anything, you might get a skim of polymerized finish on the surface of your jar, but I've never heard of spontaneous combustion happening in a partially-full container. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I cut some BLO with thinner a while back and stored it in an old yeast bottle - the kind that's tinted dark brown. Not because of the tinting, but because of the size of the bottle. I can't remember when I did that; it was in the summer sometime. It's been fine ever since.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

I keep my BLO + turpentine mixture in an old hand soap dispenser, with the push down squirt top. If there is any pressure in the bottle, it dribbles product out the dispenser.

It doesn't.

You're safe.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old guy

It will be fine until it comes time to remove the cap. Put a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap around the jar threads before screwing on the lid. IME BLO always causes a vacuum inside a container when stored, not pressure. It will use up and absorb any oxygen in the container trying to cure.

Jimmy