Blast from the Past

I've been re-reading some of my old FWW magazines. An issue from 1994 told the readers about the existence of rec.woodworking. A quote from the article:

"...things forbidden on rec.woodworking are off-topic messages (e.g. politics ..."

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On 07/15/2015 01:45 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote: ... snip

If I'm envisioning this right, I'd expect he probably used a clamp to hold the leg in place rather than rely on his hand grip. Still kind of dicey, but probably safe enough if you took moderate bites...

Reply to
Kevin Miller

On 07/15/2015 4:45 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote: ...

I've used very similar setups for 40+ yr w/ nary an accident. As another responder has said for the longer rails I'd almost certainly also use a clamp rather than just hold them there but I don't find the method risky at all--you're just cutting a fairly short (1" to 2" at most) straight cut thru a fairly small piece; a good saw and blade will hardly know it so there isn't any effort needed...an underpowered saw or dull blade is something else again, though.

Reply to
dpb

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:mo6k9g$4ev$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I've been re-reading American Woodworker from the 90's also. A ton of great stuff in those magazines, it's a shame they got sold and sold again, and lost quality each time.

The idea of standing a 5 foot board on end, and working it across any power tool, boggles my mind. That's a cut to be made on the bandsaw, or with a hand saw.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

On 07/15/2015 6:32 PM, dpb wrote: ...

I will add that I modified the rig a little from that described by adding a hook so it actually slides over the fence, not just riding it against the fence...

Reply to
dpb

Yep, fence-top guide, plus, I have a similar/wider ply jig that is also guided by a "runner" in the miter slot. ....*for short-lumber tenons.

As John says, for long-lumber tenons, use a bandsaw or hand saw. Can never be too cautious, especially with "awkward" positioned pieces/cutting.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

But it _isn't_ awkward when in place, it's simply sticking up vertically for a single slice cut..."awkward" would be if it had the 'ell' of a secondary rail/stile attached to make a moment arm or the like but when it's all vertical, it's simple enough. I wouldn't with a 4x6 6-ft long (say) owing to weight but a simple rail/stile/leg/apron it's simple and quick and not unsafe.

The alternatives are certainly ok and if you're uncomfortable with the setup then by all means use one of them instead...

Reply to
dpb

That "little" makes it considerably safer.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That was certainly my reaction. And I hope the article author had at least an 8' ceiling with nothing hanging down from it :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

In my inexpert opinion, we are sometimes seduced by the fact that even pretty stupid things usually result in no injury. "I know a guy who does that *all the time*". Human beings aren't always good at evaluating low probabilities. I try to remember that it's a bad idea to increase your chance of being hurt, even if the increase might be from 1 in 5000 to 1 in 100. This is especially important when the "1" is a lost finger.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Right but on the other hand, a 1 in 10M chance may be worth it over a

1 in 20M chance if your life is going to be made better (think cancer and drugs). The difference is a 50% increase in something bad happening but it's not a 50% chance of something bad happening, as is often implied by the MSM.
Reply to
krw

Granted. It's far more stable and since don't have to worry about keeping it against the fence much more reliably accurate.

Reply to
dpb

Greg Guarino wrote in news:mo8nge$e01$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The other thing to bear in mind is, if you know a safer way to do it, the probabilities are irrelevant. You do it the safer way.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

For certain values.

There are safer ways to commute to work than on a motorcycle. Nonetheless many of us commute on motorcycles.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Agreed. I did it for 20 years or more. But I stopped doing it for the

10 years I lived in the Los Angeles area :-).
Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Life is all about cost/benefit tradeoffs. The cost side doesn't tell the whole story.

Reply to
krw

On nice days I sometimes ride my bike to work It's only a couple kilometers. In the morning it's rush hour, so I use a trail half the way - at noon the traffic is light so I often use the road all the way. I see more car accidents than bike accidents - and if I get killed in a car accident I'm just as dead as on the bike - just die faster on the bike? Better chance of serious injury on the bike, but I accept the risk.

Won't ride the bike in the rain or after dark - or on some of the more congested streets.

Reply to
clare

I see more cars than bicycles on the way to work, so it is not surprising that I see more "car accidents"--the "I see more car accidents" argument just falls flat.

And while you're just as dead if you get killed, a car hitting a bicyclist doesn't even slow the car down, but if the bicyclist makes it to the emergency room he's lucky. All accidents do not result in fatalities you know.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But I only go to work once a day, so it is not the accidents per person mile travelled or anything else that is relevant - only the chances of being involved in an accident on the way to or from work on the bike vs the truck.

Which is why I stated " Better chance of serious injury on the bike".

I gave up riding the Motorcycle because I demed the risk to be higher than my wife was willing to accept.

Reply to
clare

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

That's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. The three ways listed to cut a tenon (table saw, bandsaw, hand saw) are essentially equivalent, the tenon comes out the same. Given that, it makes sense to pick the safer one.

No-one who rides a motorcycle would say riding is equivalent to driving a car.

John

(rides a Yamaha R1)

Reply to
John McCoy