Blades for a 12 ½ Delta Planer

I did not want to post this with the Dewalt blades. Here In Canada the average retail cost of a set for a 12½" Delta planer is $39.99 CAD for a set of two. I only wish I could locate a supply source at a lower cost. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. TIA

Reply to
<marierdj

Why do you need more than one set of blades? My planer only holds one set.

If they need sharpening, you can do it yourself.

Planer knife sharpening:

Stoutman

Not on the Delta 12-1/2" planer -- there isn't enough metal there for even a light honing.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Correct these blades cannot be sharpen only a very light honing with a 600 grit metal sand paper. Btw I am just back from Home Depot, the blades are priced at $41.95 CAD.

Reply to
<marierdj

Really?. I have done it a half dozen times on one set already.

Reply to
Stoutman

Perhaps we're talking about different models of planer? I used to have the

12-560; the blades were only a bit more than a half-inch wide, and when they got dull, pretty much any degree of metal removal made them too narrow to be useful.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post. What happened is that I salvage good lumber (like oak, teak, and mahogany) from wooden palettes. I use a metal detector, but I never learn, and at time I go over a rusted nail with the thickness planer. The nicks on the blade could be as much as 1/64" deep. The Delta blades are two sided and I just drop them in a lock them into place. I just can resist when I see a palette made with good lumber I have to salvage some of the wood. In three years I have ruined one set of two side blades. So now I'll keep a not so good set of blade for the palette and one set for finishing work. I'll have another look at your honing fixture.

Reply to
<marierdj