blade sharpening

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good blade sharpeing service. The only local place I've found sends their blades out anyway, so I'd just a soon mail it out, that would actually make it easier on me.
Forrest does a superb job and will retrue the blade if you request this.

Leon wrote:

And they'll sharpen anything. Even a Soopasuck Lameblade.
Haven't used them, just regurgitating ambient knowledge. People say stuff comes back almost as good as a big dollar Forrest blade, and they're extremely reasonable about everything. I plan to send all my blades in that direction One Of These Days(tm).

I though I had a good service in Houston, all computer automated, but 2 weeks after using them I was dissatisfied with the results and sent the Forrest blade to Forrest. It came back like new.
CNC grinding machines, as you found out, don't ensure a good product. If you program them or set them up to produce crap, they will produce the most perfect crap imaginable and do it time after time.

Well the job was not a bad one, it just did not compare to the new Forrest blade that I had just bought. So I sent the older Forrest back to Forrest. Also, Forrest will retrue the blade. My local service does not do this. But I agree, like a PC, the information going in determines the quality of the information coming out.
Amen!! Been a machinist for 35 yrs. Just like anything else, if the person behind the tool isn't paying attention, you get crap. Old tools or state-of-the-art.

Had an interesting experience back when I used to do receiving inspection *COUGHS* years ago.
We had two machined parts come in from two different vendors.
From vendor A, some parts were PERFECT. Some parts were a bit off. All were within tolerence. Pretty good for a run of a thousand pieces.
Vendor B, the first piece was .003 short in the longest dimension, with similar shortfalls in all the other dimensions.
So was the second piece, the third . . .
Within the tolerence I could measure, all the pieces were identical.
Weird.

Cutter comp. Slap the operator.

Just as soon as you get a "round tuit", right?
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

I was gonna buy some round tuits, but I never got around to it.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:45:51 -0500, Silvan

Wow... you've compacted paragraphs into that sentence... well done!
Over the years, I've found myself giving folks advice, some very technical, on stuff i've never done... mostly on trucks so far, as I've been in those NGs the longest... It's like you become a walking FAQ by reading so many posts on the different subjects.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Secret to the Silvan(tm) Success Story, really. It's an interesting phenomenon, but I suppose I had best save musing on it for another day.

I agree. I've sent many saw blades in and they do a great job. They flattened some of the "other" blades I sent without asking and without charge.
Bryan
Doug wrote:

Send them out, it will be the best way.
If you want to send it out, this company is highly recommended on the net. I have no affiliation to them other than as a satisfied customer. http://www.cookessharpening.com /

Ridge Carbide Tools. They do have a web site with all the costs and how best to ship. They do router bits also. They did a couple of blades for me and the DeWalt came back better than news.

I've found that any blade or cutter I've sent to a good sharpening shop, including jointer and planer knives, seem to come back better than new.
The only exception is my Forrest stuff. They seem to come sharpened better than many others.
Barry