blade guard use on tablesaw

Page 4 of 4
RM MS wrote:

Hmmmm... That's actually a good idea. I just got done reading that chapter in the "Complete Guide to Sharpening" while I was on the can the other day. Haven't ever made one, nor used one, but it doesn't look like rocket science. :)
Try cutting a board with a splitter fin BIGGER than the blade, then tell us all how it went . . .
Man, you could use aluminum, believe it or not, just as long as it is just a little thinner than the Circular saw blade. Why would you even bother with something as thin as a band saw blade? Another tip: if you think the piece is closing up on you, slow down and shut off the damn saw and knock a wedge, screw, nail, any darn thing you got to keep the crack open. You already goofed anyways. Don't tell me I am full of it; if the blade is straight and sharp, you can re-start with no problem. They usually only close up anyway if the blade is gummy or dull and heating up, or if the wood is crappy or not dressed flat first, or if the blade angle or fence is off true. Admit it.
RM MS wrote:

No, it's a 10" saw blade that I was thinking about _cutting_ with a bandsaw, because I happen to have a metal-cutting bandsaw and a useless saw blade.
I hit a nail with the blade, and mangled the carbide teeth very badly. It's not worth repairing, so this seemed like a reasonable use for the thing in an idle moment of contemplation.

I've never really had a problem, except with the damn splitter getting out of whack and screwing up my cuts, incidentally. I can see where it's a good idea though, and I've been absolutely bored out of my mind lately trying to come up with a new project to do on a budget of $0.00, so making a new splitter out of the old saw blade sounds like a fine way to kill time, even if I never install the thing. :)
Well, then, I'd ride that train, have fun.
Saw blades are spring tempered. You can cut them with a band saw. Use a 32 TPI blade or finer, slow speed and cutting oil.

Still in the plastic baggie. :-) -- Ernie

I plan to put mine on before I use the saw again. DAMHIKT
Wes