blade guard use on tablesaw

Page 3 of 4
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:11:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Exactly. If someone calls you an idiot...he's the snob! lol
Those types of guys can seldom talk rationally...or make any sense when they do.
Of course, when they AGREE with your ideas, you'll no longer be an idiot...at least temporarily.
ROTFLMAO!!!
Have a nice week...
Trent
How many hours do you spend on a saw per day? And for how many years? As for lawyer bait, you are talking out your ass, too. I so much enjoy all you smart guys running your mouth about how you think it should be. Maybe in Dreamland, but not in Real Work World.
Speaking of talking out one's ass, have you listened to yourself lately?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 04:09:42 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (RM MS) wrote:

I very seldom do. I do sometimes wear mine when there are icy or rainy conditions. But the car I drive the most has air bags on both sides.

I never use my blade guard. But I ALWAYS wear eye protection. And I ALWAYS set the blade so that only enough of the blade is exposed to get the job done.
There are also helmets available...and other bodily protection...for those who are really concerned about body protection.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Do the letters REC in the heading of this group mean anything to you?
It is so easy to tell who the pros are in this group and who the

: I have worked in professional industrial wood shops since 1980. Trust : me, DON'T USE THE GUARD.
Um, well, hunh!, okay.
: Ours are there only for OSHA
You mean the Federal agency that's responsible for worker safety, right? So, basically, the guard are there only to protect the people using the machine. Damn inconveniences! A scourge upon them!
: and are purposely : designed to be easily moved out of thway to a safe position. If you have : a slide-down guide, and need o have it there, drill a hole in the upper : slider and stick a penci in it to keep the darn thing up while you work. : Our other ones are on swivel pipes, etc. You do not need another thing : to deal with while passing your hand near a spinning, tilted meat : grinder.
Yeah man, right on!
Anyone who operates a TS without a good* guard is an idiot. Anyone who forces coworkers or employees to do so is an abusive bastard.
    -- Andy Barss
* the American standard guides are crap. Try a Brett guard to see what a real guard is like.
I have an overarm guard which flips out of the way. I use it on all cuts where it is convenient and not in the way as an extra margin of safety, which are the preponderance of cuts I make on the table saw. I am not a zealot about the blade guard, but I am about using a splitter when ripping. My splitter is aftermarket, separate from the guard, and installs and removes in seconds.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/16/03

This topic has been beaten to death, quite recently.
Try here:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=table+saw+gua rd>
djb
--
------
WOMD?

But do they sell *table saw guards*?

Did you know that eating pickles will kill you?
Have a nice week...
Trent
After glancing through this thread, (last week) I decided "aww, what the heck, I'll reinstall mine".
After futzing with it for 10 minutes, cursing half that, I got it on. Took one look at the poor alignment between the blade and "splitter", pushed up on the pawls and realized they'd leave a nice divot (sp?) on _any_thing that went under 'em, I said a few choice words and removed the blasted thing.

adb wrote:

Funny... Me too. I hadn't looked at the thing in ages, and when I did, I noticed that it's a "riving knife" which is supposed to be sooo much better than a standard splitter.
Except it's such a thin, crappy piece of stamped sheet metal that it flops to one side under its own weight, and like as not, it will interfere with the cut instead of doing what it's supposed to do.
I do think I should probably keep a riving knife on to prevent the kerf from closing on the far side, but I think I need to see about manufacturing myself a new one out of a heavier gauge of steel.
I have a completely defunct saw blade and a metal-cutting bandsaw... Are saw blades hardened? Could I cut it up to fit, using the old one as a template, and then grind an edge on the splitting bit of it, or would the metal just chew the teeth off my bandsaw? (I have a 28 TPI blade, I think. It's an extremely fine-toothed blade...)
Seems like a halfway decent idea, actually, since the two blades are pretty much the same thickness, and it's a free source of suitable sheet metal.
I think I would try a torch to cut to shape then grind with a hand grinder (4-1/2"). It won't be needing much hardness; I would think that hardness=brittleness.
Blades are normally pretty tough stuff.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:37:13 -0400, Silvan

Ramsey wrote:

I don't have a torch...
Well, not one that gets hot enough to cut anything anyway. I don't think air/propane is going to do it. :)
Makes dealing with potential heat treatment problematical too. Can't remove it, can't put it back. I've read about such things, but I don't have anything that gets hot enough.
One of these days....
Michael, why use asaw blade? You won't have THAT much wear on it. Why not just go to Lowe's and buy a strip of strap steel or plate and gringit down. Or cut it with your band saw. I would want to put oil on it when cutting but that is just me. Someone mentioned that you want it slightly more narrow than your blade BUT if you have/use a 1/4" kerf, allow for it.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:36:13 -0400, Silvan

Ramsey wrote:

'Cause the saw blade was free. :)
Proved to be pretty much impossible to cut correctly, so now I have a bunch of weird curvy pieces of saw blade in the trash.
I decided I'm not quite that bored after all, so I just whacked on the old one until it was closer to being flat, and I'll use it until it annoys me (ie when I bend it by looking at it funny), at which point it will probably go back to its dusty place on the shelf under the router table.
A piece of sheet metal would be better, but I'd still have a lot of trouble cutting the curve. I'll have to think about that some day, when I'm more bored. :)
If you truly cannot bear to toss the saw blade out, chop it up into various-sized cabinet scrapers. If you don't know what those are, and don't want to say so in public, email me.
Send me the blade and I'll send you one back.